Can I use toshiba 4.0fw on Integra DHS-8.8(XA2 clone)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Can I use toshiba 4.0fw on Integra DHS-8.8(XA2 clone)?

If yes, is it just burning toshiba xa2 4.0 firmware on disc and updating on player? Can I use XE1 fw for multi-region?
Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Nope.

Maybe it's possible, but I would suggest DON'T do that. I have used once a XA2-FW update disc for my Onkyo HD 805, thought the palyer is a 100% clone of it too. To my wonder, it wasn't. After this udpate my Onkyo wasn't able to boot anymore and the player was scrap (checked and confirmed by the Onkyo customer service).
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM

The Integra DHS-8.8 and Onkyo HD805 are most definitely hardware clones of the Toshiba HD-XA2 but with slight firmware modifications, splash screen logos are different, looks to different source for firmware updates and whatever other changes were necessary. Clones are very common with consumer audio video equipment and certainly sometimes firmware is interchangeable and other times wrong firmware means the player will be harmed or damaged beyond repair. I sure wouldn't try doing it without knowing for sure it will work. I do seem to recall reading at AVSForums about some firmware alterations with the Toshiba HD DVD players that did work but I no longer remember the specifics. Too little to gain for too much risk without knowing for certain it will work.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 AM

Hey guys. I had this exact same question about my DHS-8.8. I had updated to v2.8 and from that point on the screen would flash "mssg" whenever I turned it on with the 1080p/24 engaged. I have a couple of backups, so...I said the hell with it, knowing that the chances of bricking my machine was better than not, but to my surprise the machine was not bricked and when I go to firmware update, it says "4.0/T23T". Not sure about the "T23T" part of it. The "mssg" part of it did not go away though. The research I did says that means it is looking for an update. If that is true, then I can't for sure say if the machine took the update correctly, although it still plays everything I put in it. Nice to see current forums about one of the dead media formats that I own and still enjoy watching.