Circuit City: HD DVD-equiped Laptop In Stores! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2007, 10:26 PM

Exclamation Circuit City: HD DVD-equiped Laptop In Stores!

Now, I wasn't sure if I should put this in BD vs. HD DVD, HD DVD Hardware, or HD DVD Deals, but I decided to put this here.

Anyway, I just got home from work, which is Circuit City in Parkersburg, WV, and I just had to let you all know what I saw today!

On the end of our laptop isle, is a brand new Toshiba laptop, the TOS F45AV412.

What's so special about this laptop? Well, it marks the very first computer of any sort, desktop or laptop, that has a built-in next-gen movie format drive!

This laptop has a built-in HD DVD player, which I immediately tested out with our store copy of "Happy Feet". This thing works WONDERFULLY!

Not only is this laptop offered by Circuit City (who normally seems to put Blu-ray above HD DVD, it seems), but it's also available IN STORE, has a (albeit small) rebate of $50, but it also has nice signage around it clearly stating that it has an HD DVD player built-in!

Right now it is $1,599 after a $50 mail-in rebate.

You can go here for more details.

...I am SO tempted to put this in the Smackdown Forum....
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 PM

Yes, this is nice but it is not the first Toshiba with a HD-DVD in it. The last generation Qosmio had it on the 17" only though.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 AM

Yes, but this IS the first computer of any kind (desktop or laptop) that includes a built-in next-gen movie format player of either kind that's been made available in-store at my Circuit City. And that makes this a very special event, IMO.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:09 AM

well, guess what, I was with my friend, and he just wanted to buy a new powerful laptop, he found the HP HD-DVD equipped laptop, and he was excited to try HD-DVD, so he bought it.
he got some HD-DVD movies, ( Batman Begins is one of them of course )
some photos for great justice:

Old 07-20-2007, 02:06 AM

I'm pretty sure that this same model is on sale at Best Buy for $1,299.99.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaly View Post
Yes, but this IS the first computer of any kind (desktop or laptop) that includes a built-in next-gen movie format player of either kind that's been made available in-store at my Circuit City. And that makes this a very special event, IMO.
Well i dunno how long you've been with the company or maybe you guys just don't get the same inventory as us out here in California. We've had the older Qosmios before (check the G35-AV660) with HD-DVD built in and HDMI out. Maybe it's a little special this time around because of the "war". If you haven't noticed i work for CCity too.

As for the HPs those are relatively new. They should have HDMI out too.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerup38 View Post
Well i dunno how long you've been with the company or maybe you guys just don't get the same inventory as us out here in California. We've had the older Qosmios before (check the G35-AV660) with HD-DVD built in and HDMI out. Maybe it's a little special this time around because of the "war". If you haven't noticed i work for CCity too.

As for the HPs those are relatively new. They should have HDMI out too.
We definitely don't get the same inventory as a California store would get.

My store, being right on the Ohio/WV boarder is one of the little Circuit City stores that time forgot. Our store is always the last one to get something new and cool. So this is pretty big to our store.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 AM

Imdaly,

Check on this link that somebody showed me today...Intel ad

On the link you can see all the different laptops from Toshiba with the HD DVD drive. $1300 is a very good price to start.

The funny part of the link is the Intel and Pixar relation showed on an advertisement for an HD DVD product. I guess on Circuit City they do not know what they are doing.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaly View Post
We definitely don't get the same inventory as a California store would get.

My store, being right on the Ohio/WV boarder is one of the little Circuit City stores that time forgot. Our store is always the last one to get something new and cool. So this is pretty big to our store.
Our store is like the test store, everything new we get to try out and everything new get thought up of here.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divian View Post
Imdaly,

Check on this link that somebody showed me today...Intel ad

On the link you can see all the different laptops from Toshiba with the HD DVD drive. $1300 is a very good price to start.

The funny part of the link is the Intel and Pixar relation showed on an advertisement for an HD DVD product. I guess on Circuit City they do not know what they are doing.
Thanks for the link!

Yeah the signage that we have around our display HD DVD laptop has that same theme of advertising "Ratatouille".