Audio Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Audio Question

Is there an advantage to the SHARC setup on a receiver vs the optical cable? My HD DVD player and receiver are currently connected via toslink and the output is DTS. Would the analog SHARC connection provide any advantage. I have a Harmon Kardon without an HDMI option.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BJD View Post
Is there an advantage to the SHARC setup on a receiver vs the optical cable? My HD DVD player and receiver are currently connected via toslink and the output is DTS. Would the analog SHARC connection provide any advantage. I have a Harmon Kardon without an HDMI option.
You'd prolly have to try it to find out for sure. I have a NON-Hdmi receiver and Ive been pretty happy with the results as DTS. Of course, to really get the most out of the TrueHD sound, HDMI is the way to go!
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
You'd prolly have to try it to find out for sure. I have a NON-Hdmi receiver and Ive been pretty happy with the results as DTS. Of course, to really get the most out of the TrueHD sound, HDMI is the way to go!
Don't forget only the new Onkyos can process TrueHD through HDMI. Any other receivers 5.1 analogs are the way to go.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerup38 View Post
Don't forget only the new Onkyos can process TrueHD through HDMI. Any other receivers 5.1 analogs are the way to go.
So many variables. Any HDMI receiver running version 1.1 that can do multichannel PCM can play back TruHD. Receivers running 1.3 paired up with players that have v1.3 and that do bitstream can send the process to the receiver for decoding/playback. All others wanting TruHD will need to use analog.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:02 PM

So analog is an upgrade to DTS and worth the hook-up effort.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:38 PM

You didnt say which HD DVD player you had but if it has analog out I would use those over the toslink. One thing to mention I have seen reports of some users experiencing delays in the audio. I dont remember if this was ever fixed in a firmware update but just wanted to make sure you were aware.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:30 AM

Default sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
You didnt say which HD DVD player you had but if it has analog out I would use those over the toslink. One thing to mention I have seen reports of some users experiencing delays in the audio. I dont remember if this was ever fixed in a firmware update but just wanted to make sure you were aware.
It is an XA-1.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:10 AM

Yes, use the analog out so that you can experience Dolby TrueHD and the full bitrate of Dolby Digital Plus. A big upgrade over what the toslink can do.