Format and Player Discussion for Future Releases on HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 AM

Format and Player Discussion for Future Releases on HD DVD

HD DVD Friends,

I am currently finishing a short run of Zombie Farm, preparing my next (Aaron's House), as well as my first (Dementia: An Experiment in Terror). Also, I own a distribution company that will make available MANY new titles on HD DVD if this all goes well and an audience remains! I will keep you posted!

With these HD DVDs, I am creating them on HD DVD-R and 3X DVD

Current results as follows:

HD DVD-R (15GB) will play in:
- 2nd Generation Toshibas with the latest firmware updates. Tested on an HD-A2 and an HD-XA2.
- HD-A30 Firmware 1.0/1.1 works fine with HD DVD-R media (I bought an unopened A30 today and just tested it, and the HD DVD-R plays perfectly. I have heard there was not 3rd generation compatibility and tested a disc on an A30 unsuccessfully with the latest firmware; therefore, I am not going to do any Firmware updates with this one. Has anyone else experienced this?

If you have had any successful first or third generation experiences with HD DVD-R, let me know.

3X DVD (9GB DVD+R DL)

To ensure the most accurate HD quality and highest bitrate possible, the feature is autoplay without menus. It has played successfully on all players tested:
- HD-A2
- HD-XA2
- HD-A30 (firmware 1.0/1.1)
- HD-A30 (firmware 4.0)
- LG BH200

Ultimately, though HD DVD-R discs are running out, so the compatibility with 3X DVDs will be the final solution to keep the medium alive beyond the short term.

When I send out the Zombie Farm discs in the next few days, I will also include a compatibility technical survey to ensure optimum quality for this and all future releases.

Thanks to all who have supported the efforts. I will post a more detailed post about Zombie Farm in the next few days (and how you can obtain a copy)!

-Brian
Old 02-24-2012, 06:35 AM

Thanks Brian!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 AM

This is excellent news, Brian! Thanks for the info!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:56 PM

Sounds promising for :iconhddvdpngci7: enthusiasts like us :biggrin: Thanks Brian
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM

I have several players still, LG BH200, Toshiba HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A30, HD-A1, and Samsung BD-UP5000 and have never attempted to play HD DVD formatted files on dual layer DVD+R media. I have played the AVS HD709 disc written to DVD-R media but don't even recall which players if any had issues with the disc or how many of the models I checked.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 AM

Well, I made an interesting discovery here. Unfortunately about 4 years too late. Some HD DVD-R media is, in fact, compatible with 3rd Generation players; however, the bulk of what remains is only compatible with 2nd Generation players. In my tests, the 3X DVDs (DVD+R DL) have been compatible with all HD DVD players tested.

DVD+R DL does require high quality media. As noted by another member, if burned correctly, there should not be issues with the method, but rather the media. As Zombie Farm and Dementia get out to the community, please send me messages with any compatibility issues as I want to make sure I resolve (if any) whatever I can with the current technology remaining for HD DVD.

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM

FW update 4.0 (or 3.0) enables HD DVD-r playback, so as long as the latest (4.0) update is installed, I don't see why it would make any difference which generation player it was. Having said that, the 2G players over the years seem to have had the best success at playing finicky titles.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Based on some sample burns from Brian, I have been able to confirm that different HD DVD R media DOES HAVE different compatibility with Toshiba Players at least for the 2 types that I tested.

Verbatim HD DVD R media - confirmed to play with no problems on HD-XA2 and HD-A30 (both on latest 4.0 firmware). Unfortunately, this will NOT play in my LGBH200 combo player (with latest firmware)

unbranded HD DVD R media - Will only play in HD-XA2 player, will NOT play in my HD-A30 or LGBH200 players.

The good news is that those who have purchased the Signature Series Zombie Farm HD DVD was burned with the Verbatim HD DVD R media. Anyone who purchased these and have different players please post your experience here.