Firmware update problems - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Firmware update problems

I tried updating my new 1080p Toshiba HD-DVD player's Firmware to 2.0 a little while back, and I ran into some problems. I was doing it from a burned CD after downloading the new firmware.

The screen said it was updating, and the player itself went through 5 steps, but then it seemed to get stuck on the fifth step. It sat there on that step for about 20 minutes. I was going to actually give it longer than that, even, but I accidentally shut the player off (clumsy). When it came back on, I checked the firmware, and it said 2.0. But when I put in an HD-DVD, I had no video signal coming in, and the sound was static-y. I ended up having to go and exchange it for a new one.

I am hesitant to try again. Would it have installed successfully if I had not turned it off? ie. was the 20 minutes it spent sitting at step 5/5 normal? How long SHOULD updating the firmware take?

I'm tempted to leave well enough alone, as I don't particularly care about DVD extras. I'm just interested in good PQ, which I seem to have.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:24 PM

on 5/5 i left it on past the 20min mark, and it finished. try rolling back and re install it, if not call toshiba support.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

I was told that it has to be completly finished in order for it to work. I would make sure the disc is clean then try again and go do something else for about a half hour cause sometimes when you sit and watch it it seems like forever. If it does not complete the update I would say you have a bad disc.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:44 PM

deth,

He already exchanged it for a new one... so rolling back isn't an issue.

jkane,
I hve never had a problem with firmware updates (i.e. player lock-ups), but they can take a while. I don't remember how long the 'last firmware' update took via CD, but if you do it via ethernet... go out to lunch. Seriously, it takes FOR EVER...

You should try and download 2.0 again. If you ever end up having a problem with a certain title (i.e. Children of Men), no one (customer service) will even talk to you until you have the latest firmware. Start the update during the day, when you have lots of time... and then if it hangs at 5/5... just let it sit. I would say that if it sits there for longer than 45 minutes, you have a problem...

Remember, you don't have to take the player back. There is a way to revert to your old firmware if you need to. Only if that doesn't work would you take the player back.