Does anyone think Toshiba will lower their hd dvd players again in the fall? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Does anyone think Toshiba will lower their hd dvd players again in the fall?

I cant help but think Toshiba is going to lower the prices of their hd dvd players come Oct. or Nov. to take advantage of the holidays. Toshiba needs to do something big to get the consumers to spend their holiday money on Toshiba's format to help increase their installed base. Has anyone heard anything or does anyone have any thoughts about what they might do for all of their hd dvd supporters come this Dec??
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM

Bill Hunt @ The Digital Bits - who is no friend of HD DVD - has said a couple of time now that he wouldn't be surprised to see a $199 player in time for the holiday shopping season.

So, I guess we shouldn't be surprised to see one.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM

I would be suprised if we don't see another 'price drop'... but not specifically because of Christmas... I can't imagine that the 3G players are that far away (Samsung has already announced plans for a 3G)... and with these players, the 'old ones' go on clearance.

I guess my short answer is... I would not be suprised to see another price drop, come October/ November.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:02 PM

I vote yes. Most likely with the into of new players. A3 maybe?
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 AM

I don't think we will be seeing 3rd gen players anytime soon. Toshiba has been taking HUGE losses on these HD DVD players and is yielding no profit. The only way they make more players is if HD DVD suddenly overtakes Blu-ray in terms of sales. Just imagine yourself being the president of Toshiba, if you are losing money on HD DVD, why make new players and lose more money? As for the price cut, I say probably yes because this holiday season HD DVD will have to make a final push to overtake Blu-ray.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
I don't think we will be seeing 3rd gen players anytime soon. Toshiba has been taking HUGE losses on these HD DVD players and is yielding no profit. The only way they make more players is if HD DVD suddenly overtakes Blu-ray in terms of sales. Just imagine yourself being the president of Toshiba, if you are losing money on HD DVD, why make new players and lose more money? As for the price cut, I say probably yes because this holiday season HD DVD will have to make a final push to overtake Blu-ray.
My thoughts exactly. I dont envy the big wigs at Toshiba right now. Trying to push your format into the mass market and taking losses the way they have to be taking and still trying to stay competitive. I look at hd dvd, right now, as a bit of an underdog in this ''war''. I love rooting for the underdog.p_-
Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
Toshiba, like Sony and Microsoft, has many other sources of revenue to back up their losses, and they make much more money on those other markets. I don't foresee a problem with their creating a new HD DVD player.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

I think we will see at least one more before the holidays but I don't think Toshiba at this point is fooling themselves about making money on the A2 or the A20 players that they are discounting. Right now they are more about getting players in homes. IMO.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqwid View Post
Toshiba, like Sony and Microsoft, has many other sources of revenue to back up their losses, and they make much more money on those other markets. I don't foresee a problem with their creating a new HD DVD player.
First of all, how can anyone who doesn't work in Toshiba's accounting department claim they're "taking HUGE losses on these HD DVD players"? We don't know what it costs to make them and Toshiba has made no statements. If they can make a profit selling a DVD player for $49, I don't think it's unrealistic that they can at least break even selling an HD DVD player for $299. Toshiba makes the HD DVD drive, and the drives & players are made in China. And they're certainly making a profit selling the XA2, contributing to overall profitability in the HD DVD division.

But yes, it's the long-term strategy of getting players into the homes. Toshiba has enjoyed a 10 year revenue stream from owning the majority of patents & royalties from DVD and wants to ensure another 10 years with HD DVD.

I will be very surprised if we don't see a move down to $199 by the holidays.

Conversely, how much lower can prices for BD players go? With the requirement of BD 1.1 for new players after Oct. 31, the additional memory and secondary video processing will increase the cost of production.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM

CochiseGuy,
I agree with all your points. I found the last paragraph to be very inciteful. HDDVD players have standards that were there from day 1 so they recouped there R&D early in order to drop the price soon after in an effort to saturate the market with players. BR being a "work in progress" is having to go through further R&D every so often keeping prices higher. This is keeping their standalone sales low.

As for the price reduction of HDDVD standalones, I feel another price drop this year is pretty much a lock. It seems every 5 to 6 months they introduce a new player and drop the price on the older models. By that timeline we should see a new player as well as another $ drop by XMAS. Heres hoping anyways!