"Resume Play" on HD-A1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-25-2006, 07:04 AM

Default "Resume Play" on HD-A1

Greetings. Long time lurker, new poster.

Has anyone successfully used the "Resume Play" button on the HD-A1 remote control? I've been mildly frustrated by the lack of resume play for HD-DVDs while this feature is automatic for standard def DVDs. The owner's manual indicates that the "Resume Play" button is what I'm looking for. Except it doesn't seem to work. I've tried it on "Batman Begins" and "Cinderella Man" with no success. The manual also indicates that "Resume Play" may not work with all Discs. I guess the question then becomes, does it work with any Disc? Thoughts?

Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-25-2006, 01:12 PM

Funny, I was just thinking the EXACT same thing the other day....I've had no such luck either.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwirving68 View Post
Greetings. Long time lurker, new poster.

Has anyone successfully used the "Resume Play" button on the HD-A1 remote control? I've been mildly frustrated by the lack of resume play for HD-DVDs while this feature is automatic for standard def DVDs. The owner's manual indicates that the "Resume Play" button is what I'm looking for. Except it doesn't seem to work. I've tried it on "Batman Begins" and "Cinderella Man" with no success. The manual also indicates that "Resume Play" may not work with all Discs. I guess the question then becomes, does it work with any Disc? Thoughts?

Merry Christmas everyone!
It should work for SD DVDs but does not seem to work for HD DVDs. You can go over to AVS forums. They have a long discussion over this feature over there. The general consensus is that the player is able to use "resume" but that the feature is not enabled on HD DVD discs. The feature has to be present on the HD DVD disc itself (not the player) and studios (none of them) are inlcuding it on HD discs.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post
It should work for SD DVDs but does not seem to work for HD DVDs. You can go over to AVS forums. They have a long discussion over this feature over there. The general consensus is that the player is able to use "resume" but that the feature is not enabled on HD DVD discs. The feature has to be present on the HD DVD disc itself (not the player) and studios (none of them) are inlcuding it on HD discs.
I've heard that as well, but it is such a simple feature and does not make any sense to me as to why it is not included. It can be a real pain if you "accidently" hit that stop button when you're watching a movie using the A1.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It should work for SD DVDs but does not seem to work for HD DVDs. You can go over to AVS forums. They have a long discussion over this feature over there.
I figured this was the case. What's crazy about it is that the HD-A1's resume play feature is automatic on Standard Def DVDs without the push of the button. Hit stop and there's a message that comes up on the display letting you know that playback will continue from this point on. Since the HD-A1 behaves like a regular DVD player in this regard, I just figured that this button was exclusively for HD-DVDs. I guess not.
Quote:
The general consensus is that the player is able to use "resume" but that the feature is not enabled on HD DVD discs. The feature has to be present on the HD DVD disc itself (not the player) and studios (none of them) are inlcuding it on HD discs.
So this is the studios' call? Interesting. I wonder why they would take a few technological steps back with HD-DVD. It's mildly irritating, to say the least. Bookmarks are all well and good, but it's tedious and time-consuming to access the bookmarks. Oh well, perhaps newer HD-DVDs will have this feature enabled.