HD-A30 dying? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Default HD-A30 dying?

I have an HD-A2 that I have used since the early days of HD DVD's and just recently picked up an HD-A30 as I've upgraded my display and wanted the ability to output 1080p/24. All was well for a few days of watching but now all of a sudden I'm having some issues.

I can watch anywhere from two to twenty minutes of a movie before the picture and sound drop out. The display on the front of the player keeps ticking away and i can stop, fast forward or go to the main menu and the display shows it's doing all those things - but no picture or sound. The only way to get it back is to power everything down, unplug the player then plug it back in.

I opened up the machine and did a thorough cleaning (although it wasn't that bad) and nothing looks out of place.

At this point I'm ruling out the drive as the issue because it still operates when I lose picture and sound. But I'm wondering if this is a problem with the internal board? It's like I'm losing the HDMI "handshake".

Has anyone ever experienced this or have an idea of a possible solution?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:35 PM

When a player acts up after operating for a reasonable amount of time, I tend to think of overheating issues.
Make sure the rear exhaust fan is working and clear/unblocked.
Make sure the intake vents are clear/unblocked (on the sides of the player, I believe).
Make sure the player isn't sitting on something generating heat - a receiver, etc.
Reset your player by pressing: Press Display-7-0-1-Display on your remote and then reboot your player.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM

As I had stated I did have the machine open and did a good clean of the fan. I had run it with the cover off so I could check for heat issues as that was my other guess as well but the only heat sink in the machine doesn't even get very warm at all and the player is on an open-on-all-sides shelf all by itself.

I've never heard of the reset you mention and will give it a go. What exactly does this do? I had done the "initialize" option in the menu which I believe is supposed to reset all settings etc., but it didn't seem to have any effect.

I will report back with any progress!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Check if you installed the latest Firmware Update 4.0
Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Reset your player by pressing: Press Display-7-0-1-Display on your remote and then reboot your player.
I performed this "reset" and watched about 30 minutes of Transformers and about every 5 minutes the picture would go out for about 3 seconds and then come back.

Afterwards I put in Pan's Labyrinth and didn't get 5 minutes in and I lost picture and sound for good.

Again, when I lose picture and sound the player is still operating - just not outputting a signal.

I've been using 1080p/24 as my display setting this whole time, could it have something to do with that?

Also I am on firmware 4.0
Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM

The picture going in and out sure sounds like handshake or overheating to me. Just for the heck of it, have you backed off the video resolution to 1080i (like your old player) to see if it works ok in that mode? Have you swapped hdmi cables? Are you running audio & video to a receiver and letting the receiver feed the tv? If yes - maybe try running the player directly to the TV as a test to see if the receiver is losing the handshake with the player for some reason? Just some more ideas to try to narrow down the issues . . .
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
The picture going in and out sure sounds like handshake or overheating to me. Just for the heck of it, have you backed off the video resolution to 1080i (like your old player) to see if it works ok in that mode? Have you swapped hdmi cables? Are you running audio & video to a receiver and letting the receiver feed the tv? If yes - maybe try running the player directly to the TV as a test to see if the receiver is losing the handshake with the player for some reason? Just some more ideas to try to narrow down the issues . . .
Good advices Rich86. I have the same issues with my Blu-ray player, sometimes it's connected to the TV, sometimes not. I found out that you have to be careful with using the HDMI ports on Blu-ray or HD DVD players. If it has been used to many times (plugin, plugout, plugin, plugout etc.) the port may not deliver 100% complete connection - this actually is the main problem of my Blu-ray player. The Player is very moody, lol!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 PM

I recently had the same problem and it turned out it was an older HDMI cable that had some issues. I ordered a new cable and problem gone.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:23 PM

Ok guys, updates!

So I set the player to 1080i as Rich86 suggested and threw in The Shining. I lost picture and sound for about 2 seconds at these times: 1min30sec, 11min, 17min, 29min, 36min. After the last "blackout" at the 36min mark the rest of the 2hr+ film played with no issues.

Afterwards I put in Superman returns and played about 10 minutes with no issue. Then it was Pans Labyrinth again for 10 minutes, no issue. I got brave and switched back to 1080p/24 put in Transformers and within about a minute picture and sound gone and wouldn't come back until I power cycled the player.

Very strange indeed. I double checked my receiver settings and I have it set to pass through the HDMI signal without performing any conversion of any kind or any pull down. Signal that is being output by the player should be reaching the projector untouched.

It was interesting that I was having these "blackouts" for about a half hour and then they just stopped. To me this rules out overheating and nails it down as some sort of handshake problem. Another night I think I will try as Rich suggests and hook the player up directly to the projector to see what results.

Also just to clarify I've been using a newer cable that was bought in the last couple months and it works fine when used on other devices - so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Even if I don't ever figure out the problem I do very much appreciate the help!

I will report back after more viewing
Old 12-25-2011, 12:07 PM

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update you on this.

I ended up switching the HDMI cable on the player with another and have had zero issues since doing so. The original cable has been working fine on another device for some time now so I suppose in the end it was just the A30 being picky about the cable - not that there was anything wrong with it. I've been watching in 1080p/24 and it looks great.

Kind of makes me mad that it was something so simple after all this time but I'm certainly happy to be up and running again.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with help and support - definitely appreciate it!