General maintenance you should do to your HD DVD player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Default General maintenance you should do to your HD DVD player

I was one of the people, like many of you, who decided to keep my HD DVDs and not dump the whole collection I built up. There was no rational reason to do such a reactionary thing. I even bought a spare and brand new player for when my original unit dies. Until then, there really are some simple things that we should do to keep these players in good working order.

I'm sure the drive itself will eventually give out, but I think we can keep the electronics working perfectly until then. I don't want to have to replace my HD DVD collection until there's a better and cheaper way than just buying BD discs of the same movies. I prefer to buy BDs of non-HD DVDs that I have obviously.

-Clean the fan! Probably the easiest and most important thing to do regularly. Depending on how much you use your player, try at least once a year. It only takes a philips head screw driver to open your HD DVD player. I'm against using compressed air to blow the dust off the fan, because you end up just blowing dust all over the inside of the unit, which can attach to the power amplifier coil and heat sink, and anything else that gets hot. All that added dust can just make things hotter. It's best to take any kind of cleaner and some Q-tips and completely and gently soak up all the dust off that fan. That fan will run quieter and draw fewer amps, and thus last longer if you keep it clean. If your fan completely dies on you, it should be easy to acquire a new one, it looks like a general PC fan. Take it to a computer repair shop and see if they have one, probably $10 at most.

-Turn OFF Dialog Enhancement: If you don't know, this is in the setup menu, in 'AUDIO'. Some people might get on me for this one, but this is basically an amplification of the sound, which requires extra power from the player. It is my belief that to extend the life of these units, you want them running on a minimum power output. Let your Home Theater system be the horsepower for your audio, don't put that extra strain on your player, it doesn't need to do that.

-Turn ON 'Auto Power Off': Again this is in the setup menu. We all get distracted, or fall asleep while watching a movie. It doesn't hurt to have the player turn off after 20 minutes of non-use, or being paused. Doesn't work for tons of movies out there though, basically anything with an animated menu screen will never power off.

I would like to see some other suggestions. Mine are very basic and anyone can do what I've told. I'm not an electronics guru at all, I just have a philosophy that keeping electronics clean and running cool are the most important aspects to longevity.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 11-16-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:44 AM

I've learned that paying attention to airflow is also important. In addition to making sure the exhaust fan is functional, clean & clear, know where the side intake vents are for your player and be sure they are not blocked. That exhaust fan cannot do its job properly if the intakes in the case cover are blocked.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Interesting and cool.

* My audio rack is open on both front and rear.
And I use transparent black material to keep the dust out; both in front & rear.
The remote controls still operate, and the air still circulates.

=> Just go to a fabric store, and check a bunch of various fabric materials under the light,
and blow through them.

==> You can use velcro stickers to attach them, or you can also use magnetic stickers.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 AM

Reset your player by pressing Display-7-0-1-Display on your remote and then rebooting.

If your A2, A20, XA2 or Onkyo 805 laser dies you can replace it with a new DT0811 found on ebay for less than $10.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 11-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

What about my HD DVD player, the Samsung BD-UP5000? What can I do to make it play discs?
You know, correctly. And also those several Blu-rays that he won't play?

And also, how can I do a firmware update myself?
Because Samsung certainly won't do it!

* I also have the HD-A1 and the HD-A2. But they are not 1080p, only 1080i!
And no internal hi res audio decoders!
{Not much to maintain here if you wanna know!}

Toshiba, are they still making stuff?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Hi Sweetie, I had no idea you were 'Red', too Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Who's the 'Sweetie'? :biggrin:

* By the way, talkin' 'bout 'RED' right now, last night I just watched this:

------
Old 11-20-2011, 05:38 AM

This is a good topic and certainly worth consideration. My original HD DVD player, the HD-A1 still works properly and is still connected in my main system. It isn't as good as my other players for DVD so it is used for HD DVD only which for me means about about 2 dozen discs a year the last 2 years. The simple solution to providing longevity for HD DVD playback for me was buying several players. In 2008 and 2009 when I played HD DVD more often, I used an LG BH200 so my HD-A1 hasn't gotten much use compared to the BH200 and it seems to be well-made and it is kept in open and well ventilated so another 5 years wouldn't surprise me. If I get motivated, I will clean it but for whatever reason, something worth so little just doesn't seem worth the effort.

I have an HD-A30 connected in the master bedroom and I don't recall playing an HD DVD there this year and only a couple of DVDs with it. For spares, I have 2 or 3 HD-A20s, 2 HD-XA2s, and 2 or 3 HD-A30s. I paid a lot for the HD-XA2s but the others were customer returns and very inexpensive. Ten years from now I expect to be playing HD DVD about as much as I do now.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM

For maintaining players stored in the closet for future use, I've read that running the player for about 20-30 minutes per year is a good idea. Just insert any disc to get the moving parts going for a little while, to prevent potential freezing or flat spots on wheels.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

How many people are going to get their boxed HD DVD players from the attic or crawling space basement just to run it for half hour or so every year?

Chris, I agree with you; this is a very good thread, and the Toshiba HD-A1 player is for me a way much better HD DVD player and all than the Samsung BD-UP5000 Duo player.
And I'm sure it is for you as well, and for a whole lot more people here and everywhere.