Questions about load times for standalone players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Questions about load times for standalone players

I want to get my Dad a HD DVD player but I heard that the standalones are quite slow during the initial loading of the disk. I have a 360 add on so mine load up lickety split. Bottom line here is I want to get him one that wont take 2 minutes to load. He would probably think it is broke or something if he had to wait that long. Any standalones loading in sub 1 minute times? Thanks in advance fellow forum dwellers!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbkidc View Post
I want to get my Dad a HD DVD player but I heard that the standalones are quite slow during the initial loading of the disk. I have a 360 add on so mine load up lickety split. Bottom line here is I want to get him one that wont take 2 minutes to load. He would probably think it is broke or something if he had to wait that long. Any standalones loading in sub 1 minute times? Thanks in advance fellow forum dwellers!
I don't believe that any, HD or Blu ray stand alone players go from power off to showing a picture in under 1 minute. I have a Toshiba HD-A2 and I just timed it, from power off until it says "no disc" is 41 seconds. Then insert your dvd and maybe 20-25 seconds then I get a picture. Not a long time for everything. I just start to get the popcorn ready when the player is "booting up".
Old 07-17-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks Ferrari. I have been leaning toward the A2. Is there any quirks or features that you have noticed that havent been covered much in reviews on the net?
Old 07-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurbkidc View Post
Thanks Ferrari. I have been leaning toward the A2. Is there any quirks or features that you have noticed that havent been covered much in reviews on the net?
As for me, I have not had any problems with my A2. All of the HD movies I've either rented or bought have played without any problems. It only has digital optical out for audio, or analog stereo, so make sure your reviever has optical inputs which I'm sure it will. Unless you have a newer reciever, then you can use HDMI for audio too.

Two minor things though.
First, Blu ray and HD dvd player remotes work slower than a regular dvd remote. So if you press FF, then it takes 1/2 second to implement instead of instantly on a regular dvd player. At first this bugged me, but I got used to it quickly. If you press one button, then another before the first button feature works, then you'll probably lock up the player. If that happens, just un-plug it for a few minutes, then plug back in and everything should be OK.

Second, the A2 only puts out 1080i. If you want 1080p then step up to the HD-A20 which is about $70.00 more. I bought my A2 when I had a 1080i DLP tv, but a month ago I bought a Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 plasma that's 1080p.
But I stress that the A2 still puts out a GREAT picture, of course depending what movie you play as all HD or Blu ray movies are not equal in PQ.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari Fan View Post
I don't believe that any, HD or Blu ray stand alone players go from power off to showing a picture in under 1 minute. I have a Toshiba HD-A2 and I just timed it, from power off until it says "no disc" is 41 seconds. Then insert your dvd and maybe 20-25 seconds then I get a picture. Not a long time for everything. I just start to get the popcorn ready when the player is "booting up".
Push the open/close button to power on, it saves a few seconds.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Many thanks to you both!