HD-A35 - audio dropouts with bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM

Default HD-A35 - audio dropouts with bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD

Houston, we have a problem . . .
My primary A35 has suddenly decided it does not like to play bitstreamed Dolby TrueHD tracks without frequent brief audio dropouts.
All other bitstreamed tracks play just fine. If I set the player to convert everything to bitstreamed lpcm, it still plays fine, including with a Dolby TruedHD track selected from the title being played. I have unpluggged/plugged hdmi cables, swapped to different hdmi plugs on the receiver, swapped and used different hdmi cables to no avail.
My blu-ray player bitstreams all lossless audio just fine - as does my other A35 which I dragged out of the closet to test with. My player also exhibits no symptoms of the drive going south (ie. it plays video and all other audio perfectly including reading the TrueHD track since it converts it to lpcm just fine when set that way). I have convinced myself it is definitely the player. But it seems so strange to have this problem ONLY with Dolby TrueHD. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:27 AM

I used to have this problem before the format war ended but I have not noticed it lately. I think a firmware update fixed the TrueHD dropout.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm View Post
I used to have this problem before the format war ended but I have not noticed it lately. I think a firmware update fixed the TrueHD dropout.
This player is on the 4.0 firmware. And it used to bitstream TrueHD just fine. I watched an entire disc last night bitstreaming Dolby Digital +, and it played perfectly. Strange, huh?

Update: Further testing and swapping of components has definitely isolated the problem to this HD-A35 player. The cables are fine, the receiver is fine, and ports on the receiver are fine. DTS-HD bitstreamed audio also causes significant dropouts on this player. I'm beginning to wonder if the DTS-HD & Dolby TrueHD chips are on a separate board inside with a cable connection that is oxidizing or something. I suppose the board could be going bad, but I would expect the problem to show up when the player is set to output Dolby TrueHD via lpcm - and that seems to work just fine. I may have to open this puppy up to see if anything looks obvious . . .

Last edited by Rich86; 08-16-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 AM

Just for the hell of it, I would delete the persistent storage and reinitialize the player and then try it again.....
Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
Just for the hell of it, I would delete the persistent storage and reinitialize the player and then try it again.....
Good thought - I had it also - unfortunately it didn't solve anything. But thanks for throwing ideas on the table for experimenting.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 AM

That's too bad.... I remember my A-35 had a similar problem in that it had very intermittent dropouts but only on Dolby Digital plus soundtracks. True HD, DTS Master and regular Dolby Digital and DTS: no problem. Every once in while I would get a consistent dropout when bitstreaming a Digital Plus soundtrack. If I switched it to PCM; problem gone. And occasionally, just restarting the movie and it would play fine.... very weird. Never did figure it out and now I have an XA2 with no issues.... By the way, does your cooling fan seem to working like it should? Cooling issue? Does it do it with the cover off of the player?
Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM

I opened up the offending A35 today. Also opened up an A30 just for fun to compare. They are pretty much identical (exact same main board, drive and power supply board). The only differences are the analog output section of the A35 is populated with components vs. the A30 having nothing soldered in, and it looks like a couple of the chips have different model numbers. Oh - the fan in the A35 works fine.
I was going to share some further info and ask a question, but this site refuses to let me upload a small .jpg picture, without providing any clue as to what it doesn't like (and yes - I have clicked the ? button to see the maximum spec's for the picture), so I gave up. I posted the question and a larger version of the picture in AVS - maybe someone there will know the answer.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:41 PM

Well, I believe it was an overheating problem.
I noticed there was an air intake vent on the right side of the player that was smack against my cabinet wall. I moved the player an inch or so to the left, let it sit for a couple of weeks without use, and fired it up today, and it just played the complete "2001 Space Odyssey" title TrueHD track perfectly. Hopefully it isn't just teasing me.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM

Cool deal! Hopefully that was it.....
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM

I've now watched 3 HD-DVD titles with Dolby TrueHD tracks - all played perfectly. So I guess it was an overheating issue and simply moving the player to ensure clear air flow in and out of the player cabinet has taken care of the problem. I am a happy camper!