Problems with my new HD-DVD picture!?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Problems with my new HD-DVD picture!?!

Gonna lay the whole story out here. I may have a problem, I may not. I need some knowledgable opinions!

I have a PS3, and I've always really liked the picture on my blu-rays on my Samsung 50" LCD HDTV. I've had that for a few months, and have never run into any problems with a bad picture.

I noticed there are a lot of HD-DVD's I wanted, so I decided to get the best of both worlds, so to speak, and I bought a Toshiba 1080p HD-DVD Player (HD-A20).

Well, the picture on 12 Monkeys and Eternal Sunshine looked... not too good. I watched The Perfect Storm after that, and parts of it looked quite good, which was an improvement, I suppose, but there still seemed to be some odd blurriness on parts of the picture, which I hadn't seen on my blu-ray discs or HD Cable movies.

I managed to get the improved picture (in between viewings of the first 2 movies I mentioned, and the Perfect Storm) when I changed up HDMI cords between my PS3 and the Toshiba, so that may have been part of the problem. Now the Monster cable is on the Toshiba.

So I'm wondering, is there anything else I can do? Is taht weird blurriness on parts of an otherwise good picture just a problem with that particular movie/disc?

I haven't updated firmware yet. Will that help?

Any other suggestions to get the best possible performance out of my HD-DVD player??

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Try a firmware upgrade for the Toshiba A20, also you might want to consider having your LCD professionally calibrated as well.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
Try a firmware upgrade for the Toshiba A20, also you might want to consider having your LCD professionally calibrated as well.
Always a good idea to check if you have the latest firmware for any high def player. To check yours, go into Setup, Maintenance, Update - right before you try to UPdate it tells you your current FW version. 2.0 is the most current.

And then the obvious - you do have V.output set to HDMI & Resolution set to 1080p.

And then there's those titles. The only one I've seen is Perfect Storm, and I was underwhelmed by the PQ. Both Perfect Storm are only rated Tier 3 in the HD DVD Tier System Thread here. Eternal Sunshine is rated Tier 1.

There's great & mediocre transfers on both formats. I was pretty underwhelmed by Rambo: First Blood & Stargate on BD, but then Apocalypto made me realize it wasn't my PS3.

Try on eof the Tier 0 Reference titles:

The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, King Kong,
Blake Snake Moan, Hulk, Corpse Bride, The Ant Bully,
Happy Feet or A Scanner Darkly.

And if your HDMI cable is 10' or less, the Monster Cable or $10 cable should not make any difference.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the information. After doing some more reading, I realize there's quite a lot of variation among titles with respect to PQ. Made me feel a bit more comfortable, though Eternal Sunshine didn't seem so good either (but I haven't watched the whole thing, just skipped to a few scenes to look. Maybe I should stop complaining and watch the whole thing first!).

Anyhow, I did something like you suggest, insofar as I went out today and bought Batman Begins because I read a rating on the PQ and it is supposedly reference material.

First thing I'll do, of course, is update my FW. I think I've ensured all my options are correct, but I'll double check them.

Thanks again!