HD-A-2- Does it play region 2 DVD's - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 AM

Default HD-A-2- Does it play region 2 DVD's

I was looking to get Perfume: The Story of a Murderer (Das Parfum - Die Geschichte eines Mörders [HD DVD] ) It is coded in R 2. I dont recall if we are restricted to Region 1's.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:43 AM

HD's are region free, so it will play. However, a regular R2 DVD will not.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM

So when I buy this Region 2 DVD it will not play on my HD-A2 or it will?

HD's are region free, so it will play. However, a regular R2 DVD will not.

I am not sure what you meant above ^^^.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Old format region 2 DVDs will not play in HD players outside Europe as they can't be unlocked AFAIK.

European HD DVDs are regularly imported from here to the US by other forum members. According to Amir and from experience, HD DVD is borderless and any disc will play on any player worldwide (again maybe someone can verify this).

Although it is a software possibility I have yet to read about the first film to actually implement region coding on HD DVD, so I assume it has yet to happen. The German Amazon site DOES list this as Region 2, but as far as I know that's got no bearing on reality and probably comes from some German data-entry clerk operating their Oracle Database simply having to enter something, anything in the "Region Coding" field for this record. I think "Region 2" in this case is not applicable.

The previous answer was quite straightforward, but here it is again.

The HD DVD should play in your American player. The SD DVD will definitely not
Thus the item linked to below SHOULD play on your HD DVD player in any country, but I'm not being held liable if it doesn't for whatever reason.
http://www.amazon.de/Das-Parfum-Gesc...4335995&sr=8-3

If someone can confirm there is NO region coding on any HD DVD< you'd be completely safe to purchase this.

Jojo
Old 07-13-2007, 10:58 PM

I have an HD-A2, and it absolutely plays region 2 HD DVD's from UK and France. It will not play a standard, regular definition region 2 DVD, though.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhitchfan View Post
I have an HD-A2, and it absolutely plays region 2 HD DVD's from UK and France.
The point is THERE ARE NO REGIONS when it comes to HD-DVD, so no release is a "region 2" release etc.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:12 PM

As stated there are no regions on HD DVD. My HD DVD drive (X360 addon) is bought in USA, my X360 is European, it still plays both European and US HD DVD titles without problems.

If you put in regular DVDs the region restrictions still apply though, and in my case it regulated by the X360 itself, so it's region 2.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 PM

I think that when 'European' companies are labeling HD DVDs, it is exactly what Jojo said.

The 'data entry clerk' who is being paid minimum wage has to fill in the blanks. Because everything they have ever filled out is 'Region 2'... that' what they put in the box... The linked title should play in any HD DVD player world wide.