Just Got an RCA HD DVD Player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Just Got an RCA HD DVD Player

Hello,

Well I finally took the plunge, and got a RCA HD-DVD player. Picked up 'Field Of Dreams' and 'The Thing' as well. I do have a few questions.

1. On the back of the HDMI slot on the player, when you plug the HDMI in, is it supposed to be a little loose on the end? The connector is tight, but the whole plug it self doesn't feel real tight.

2. On the picture mode option, should I choose Film, Video or Auto?? Also should I turn the extended black level on? or keep it off?

I already did the firmware update.

Thanks again for your help.
-MATT-
Old 12-23-2006, 02:10 AM

One of the main advantages of HDMI as a cable is the fact that it is easy to push in and out compared to old composite video/audio and component video.

And for the setting just leave it on Auto.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Matt - what's the pq like on this player? Also, what are start times like?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
The RCA is the same as the HD-A1. I have both, and both have the same performance (PQ & load times). Biggest difference is the RCA looks nicer and has a much much better remote control. RCA uses the same remote as the HD-A2.

-John
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
PQ is great! I've only watched 'Field Of Dreams' so far, and I thought it looked awesome! I will watch 'The Thing' later today. Up-Conversion is great also, better than my old Panasonic one.

Load times aren't too bad. Takes about 30-35 seconds or so to boot up and load the movie, once loaded, it loads quick.

I too like the way the RCA one looks compared to the Toshiba, and the remote is indeed nice.

-MATT-
Old 12-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Congrats Matt. Welcome to HD DVD

May I reccomend King Kong to you as a HD DVD purchase? It has got to have the best picture quality compared to ANY HD DVD and Blu-Ray movie I have seen.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
And for the setting just leave it on Auto.
If I don't set it to PCM while using the 5.1 analogs I don't get TrueHD.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM

I have the picture mode on Film, the black level off since the blacks will come in real nice as is, and I have the audio set to PCM for Dolby Digital, DD+ and TrueHD and switch it back to Bitstream for DTS and DTS-ES.

I haven't watch Field of Dreams yet because I haven't heard rave reviews. The Thing looks absolutely incredible for such an old film. It was like watching again for the first time. I also recommend King Kong for PQ and AQ. Added to that would be Superman Returns and Corpse Bride for sound; Batman Begins because, come on, it's just a cool movie and being in HD makes it that much better; and the big shocker of the year is definitely The Hulk for PQ and AQ.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your HD movie experience. I know I have!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:34 PM

Thanks everybody for the greetings, advice, help and suggestions. I will def be picking of some more titles soon. KK and Batman Begins sounds like a good place to start. Thanks Again!

-MATT-
Old 12-23-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHD-DVD View Post
KK and Batman Begins sounds like a good place to start. Thanks Again!
Haven't watched Kong yet, but Batman Begins is ridiculously good looking!