HD-XA2 bitstream? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 AM

HD-XA2 bitstream?

I just replaced my old Marantz SR7000 receiver with a new Denon AVR-591 receiver so I can connect my HD-XA2 via HDMI to bitstream Dolby Digital plus/TrueHD and dts-HD audio, but when I pop in any movies the player only send PCM to my new Denon receiver, so I went to XA2 audio setup and it only gave me 3 choices Auto, PCM, Downmix PCM and no bitstream, I thought XA2 is a flagship top of the line HD DVD player that can bitstream HD audio via HDMI. Here are my dts-HD disc that I tried on:

2008 dts-HD audio demo disc
Pan's Labyrinth
Chronos
T2 steelbook (German import)
King Kong 1976 (French import)
Host
Uncommon Bach
Ghost Rider (French import)
Death Proof (German import)
Total Recall (French import)
Bridge to Terabethia (French import)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (Polish import)

btw
my XA2 is 4.0 firmware
Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM

4.0 is the last firmware version for the HD-XA2. I own the player but have too many players and haven't had it connected in about 2 years but going on memory, the HD-XA2 will bitstream DTS-HD MA by having the player set to auto if there is no bitstream option. You may need to have the proper settings on the Denon receiver as well, make sure it is looking for bitstream over HDMI but I know nothing about the receiver. The HD-XA2 auto aspect is based on its ability to know the attached HDMI decoder can decode DTS-HD MA. You may also need to select the proper audio from the disc menu if the default isn't DTS-HD MA.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:00 PM

From the XA2 manual:

Quote:
Digital Out HDMI

Select the output sound format when a device equipped with
an HDMI terminal is connected to the HDMI OUTPUT jack on
this player.
For details about output sound selection, see page 63.

Auto
Select this when an HDMI device equipped with built-in
Dolby Digital, DTS, MPEG or linear PCM decoder is
connected to this player.

Digital audio signal (bitstream audio) is output. If a
connected HDMI device does not support bitstream audio
input, sound is converted into linear PCM to output.

PCM
Select this when an HDMI device which has multi channel input
is connected to this player.
The sound is output in multi channel in linear PCM format.

Downmixed PCM
Select this when a 2 channel digital stereo AV receiver or
processor is connected to this player.
When you play a disc recorded in multi channel, sound is
converted into PCM (2 channel) format to output.
So it seems to me that it should work if you set this value to Auto
Old 04-30-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post
From the XA2 manual:

So it seems to me that it should work if you set this value to Auto
Yes although the manual predates the player's ability to bitstream DTS-HD MA so there is no mention of that. It was added somewhere along the way, maybe firmware version 2.8 but that is just a guess. Great player for DVD and HD DVD.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:53 PM

There is a setting called something like "Digital Direct Mode" which you need to set to "ON" along with the "Auto" setting for HDMI audio, will activate bitstreaming of the high definition Audio codecs.....
Old 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Incidentally, I actually just got one of these great players at a great price off Ebay and sold my A-35. The picture quality is phenomenal; especially with upconverted DVDs also! Great player....
Old 05-01-2011, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano86 View Post
There is a setting called something like "Digital Direct Mode" which you need to set to "ON" along with the "Auto" setting for HDMI audio, will activate bitstreaming of the high definition Audio codecs.....
Deano86 is right. You have to set the "Digital Direct Mode" to ON.

At first I thought this was only for the A35 as it is not mentioned in the XA2 manual. But I checked on my XE1 (which is the European version of the XA2) and the setting is there also. I suppose it was added in a later firmware.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys I will try it out, if it doesn't work then I'll just stick with my XA1, love the look of that player along with BDP-S500.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:11 PM

My XA2 also got an shut down bug too, sometimes it turned off half way through the movies sometimes just 10-15 min through the movies. Does anybody got any idea how to fix the problem?

thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl2181 View Post
My XA2 also got an shut down bug too, sometimes it turned off half way through the movies sometimes just 10-15 min through the movies. Does anybody got any idea how to fix the problem?

thanks
I have not heard of an absolute fix for the shutdown bug but if I recall correctly there was a procedure regarding order of component power on that minimized the issue. I have never seen it and believe it does not affect all HD-XA2s and I don't know if the cause has been pinpointed. I believe Bruceames has the player and the proper procedure to minimize the issue, hopefully he will visit the thread and can help.