Disc not reading..... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Disc not reading.....

Hello everyone i have an issuse with my hddvd player HD-A2 player with one disc

today i put in Smallville Season 5 disc 1 from the HDDVD set and it played the WB logo fine then it says "system error occurred" so i put in the other discs and then other hd films they all work fine.

I then find the old samsung hd/bd 5000 player (the one that frezes,i keep on wanting to throw it out but i swear it will not let me!) and put disc 1 in and it playes fine (other then frezing up) i put it back into the hd player and same error came up.

i am wondering what i should do? its all upgraded with firmware 4.0...

is starting to be the begenning of the end for this player?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:22 PM

Well, it could be some dust or dirt on the laser lens or disc. But if the A2 plays all your other titles ok - I'd lean towards thinking the disc is marginal and the A2 is choking on it in a different spot than your Samsung. If it was mine - I'd clean the disc (I use an old Discwasher cleaning mechanism and fluid, which does a good job of cleaning always between the center and outer rims - ie. never along the data path) and maybe even clean the laser in the player (but that entails opening it up, finding the laser assembly and gently/carefully cleaning it using a q-tip and denatured alcohol).
Old 03-14-2011, 07:10 AM

i even put a disc cleaner cd in thought that would do the trick but nope..
Old 05-17-2011, 12:06 AM

It's a Warner title, so the disc is probably defective or is 'rotting'.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:12 PM

Default Unplayable HD DVD's, Blu Rays - "ROT" or What?

Having now looked at the first 100 of my HD DVD's and one Blu Ray, it is clear that the older the disc the more likely that it will either be unplayable or have bad sectors.

When played, as expected, the bad sectors are consistently reliable in their timing .

The "ROT" presents in 2 forms. Either multiple areas of speckling on the disk, or as amorphous areas of opacity on the disc.

Under the microscope these areas are in the body of the disc itself and not on the surface.

The Jewel case adjacent to the reading side of the disc may be greasy and have multiple circular impressions around the outer perimeter of the disc. These areas strangely enough look like a miniature version of the disc including the central inner hole!

Incidentally, ALL these discs are stamped Warner Bros and range from 2001 through 2007.

Last night I attempted to re-play 'Deliverance' (Warner Bros.) on my Toshiba HD-XA2 and to my regret it stopped prematurely with the usual error code. I played it on my XBox 360 Player and my LG computer drive + CyberLink with the same disappointing result.

The discs have never been mishandled, and have been kept in a climate controlled environment.

I have not the foggiest idea what's going on. Do you?

Stuart

Last edited by StuartB; 10-05-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM

I'm having the same issue myself. My Casablanca and Blazing Saddles are in almost mint condition and will NOT load in my standalone Venture, not in my 2 Xbox 360 HD-DVD drives. I can watch Time Cop all day long.