Is there any software out that supports HD DVD still on PC ? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Menaceuk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 937
Default Is there any software out that supports HD DVD still on PC ?

My Standalone HD DVD player broke today and rather than buy another I want to utilize the HD DVD drive on MY PC. How ever I can't seem to find any Playback software which supports HD DVD.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Actionable Mango's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,233
Default

Last I checked (Fall 2010) Arcsoft Total Media Theater Platinum still supports HD-DVD, although it is not advertised. Download a free trial to test it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Rich86's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,369
Default

You can track down an older version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra.
I seem to recall that Version 7 supports HD-DVD.
You can also fool the first release of Version 8 into supporting HD-DVD (I seem to recall that applying the maintenance update to Version 8 negates the ability to play HD-DVD).
Info here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...powerdvd_8.cfm
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Menaceuk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Last I checked (Fall 2010) Arcsoft Total Media Theater Platinum still supports HD-DVD, although it is not advertised. Download a free trial to test it.
I have Total media theatre 3( i think) which supports HD DVD too but I could never get a picture, only sound at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
You can track down an older version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra.
I seem to recall that Version 7 supports HD-DVD.
You can also fool the first release of Version 8 into supporting HD-DVD (I seem to recall that applying the maintenance update to Version 8 negates the ability to play HD-DVD).
Info here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...powerdvd_8.cfm
I have Power DVD 7.3 but every time I put any kind of movie in it tells me to update, and when I do HD DVD,s don't work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Favelle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 18,154
Default

Just rip them to MKV's with their full sound and audio. Then pick your player; VLC, WMP, Zoom, MPC-HC, etc etc.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Rich86's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaceuk View Post
I have Power DVD 7.3 but every time I put any kind of movie in it tells me to update, and when I do HD DVD,s don't work.
I believe it has to be the PowerDVD "Ultra" version to have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Actionable Mango's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaceuk View Post
I have Total media theatre 3( i think) which supports HD DVD too but I could never get a picture, only sound at best
Strange, that works for me. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum is what I use, on Win7 with an LG Superblu combo drive.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Menaceuk's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Just rip them to MKV's with their full sound and audio. Then pick your player; VLC, WMP, Zoom, MPC-HC, etc etc.
May end up having to do that but at the moment my PC storage space is limited, so not really an option right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Strange, that works for me. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum is what I use, on Win7 with an LG Superblu combo drive.
I have Platinum and I am on Win 7 and Have an LG combo drive too, but I have never been able to get a picture.Even if I install anyHDDVD to remove security and such I still can't get a picture.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
JAC35's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,169
Default

I recently picked up my copy of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and cannot get it to update to the last version the installer errors out on Windows 7. Apparently Vista it works fine. The original install won't play until you update. I cant update cause I'm using Windows 7. Grr!!!

From my understanding TMT3 is supposed to work but it isn't officially supported. Have you tried in their forums to see if someone can help you fix it? Probably a filter or something that needs to be re-registered.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Actionable Mango's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,233
Default

I don't think there is any other currently-available software that plays HD-DVD. You'll either have to get TMT3P working or start ripping to discs to the hard drive.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Ultimate BLU-RAY player software faceoff (4 different computer software packages) HDTV1080P Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 6 11-24-2008 07:58 AM
So, are there any serious HD fans without Blu-ray player still? SoylentGreen High Definition Smackdown 170 10-15-2008 03:49 PM
Is there any software? drekija The Water Cooler 5 03-01-2008 09:33 PM
Is there any software? upika66 HD DVD Software General Discussion 3 02-20-2008 07:22 AM
Are there still any HD-DVD players for $99 or less? Rise Against HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 1 12-24-2007 04:36 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off