Is there any software out that supports HD DVD still on PC ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Is there any software out that supports HD DVD still on PC ?

My Standalone HD DVD player broke today and rather than buy another I want to utilize the HD DVD drive on MY PC. How ever I can't seem to find any Playback software which supports HD DVD.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Last I checked (Fall 2010) Arcsoft Total Media Theater Platinum still supports HD-DVD, although it is not advertised. Download a free trial to test it.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:40 PM

You can track down an older version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra.
I seem to recall that Version 7 supports HD-DVD.
You can also fool the first release of Version 8 into supporting HD-DVD (I seem to recall that applying the maintenance update to Version 8 negates the ability to play HD-DVD).
Info here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...powerdvd_8.cfm
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Last I checked (Fall 2010) Arcsoft Total Media Theater Platinum still supports HD-DVD, although it is not advertised. Download a free trial to test it.
I have Total media theatre 3( i think) which supports HD DVD too but I could never get a picture, only sound at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
You can track down an older version of Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra.
I seem to recall that Version 7 supports HD-DVD.
You can also fool the first release of Version 8 into supporting HD-DVD (I seem to recall that applying the maintenance update to Version 8 negates the ability to play HD-DVD).
Info here:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...powerdvd_8.cfm
I have Power DVD 7.3 but every time I put any kind of movie in it tells me to update, and when I do HD DVD,s don't work.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:39 PM

Just rip them to MKV's with their full sound and audio. Then pick your player; VLC, WMP, Zoom, MPC-HC, etc etc.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaceuk View Post
I have Power DVD 7.3 but every time I put any kind of movie in it tells me to update, and when I do HD DVD,s don't work.
I believe it has to be the PowerDVD "Ultra" version to have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray support.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaceuk View Post
I have Total media theatre 3( i think) which supports HD DVD too but I could never get a picture, only sound at best
Strange, that works for me. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum is what I use, on Win7 with an LG Superblu combo drive.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
Just rip them to MKV's with their full sound and audio. Then pick your player; VLC, WMP, Zoom, MPC-HC, etc etc.
May end up having to do that but at the moment my PC storage space is limited, so not really an option right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Strange, that works for me. ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum is what I use, on Win7 with an LG Superblu combo drive.
I have Platinum and I am on Win 7 and Have an LG combo drive too, but I have never been able to get a picture.Even if I install anyHDDVD to remove security and such I still can't get a picture.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:14 PM

I recently picked up my copy of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and cannot get it to update to the last version the installer errors out on Windows 7. Apparently Vista it works fine. The original install won't play until you update. I cant update cause I'm using Windows 7. Grr!!!

From my understanding TMT3 is supposed to work but it isn't officially supported. Have you tried in their forums to see if someone can help you fix it? Probably a filter or something that needs to be re-registered.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM

I don't think there is any other currently-available software that plays HD-DVD. You'll either have to get TMT3P working or start ripping to discs to the hard drive.