HDMI vs component - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Question HDMI vs component

i have a a component hookup on my tv to my HD-A2. Is there a big enough difference of video between the HDMI & the component to drop the $100+ to get the HDMI/DVI cord i have a 42mf130a/37 TV to any-1 who wants a reference to what will work better though my system....
Old 07-03-2007, 06:46 PM

I think your post is in the wrong place, but to answer your question.. Yes it differs in favor of HDMI but not worth $100, having said that you can pick up and HDMI cable for $15 on amazon and if you want a nice overpriced monster brand HDMI cable you can get some awsome one on ebay for about $30.
My advise is use HDMI whenever possible point blank.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Banned

It depends on your TV if you'll tell a difference, I could, but it was very very small. Still if you have HDMI you should be using it!

order all your cables from monoprice.com

they have 6 foot gold HDMI cables for something like 12 dollars. don't ever pay more than 25 dollars for an HDMI cable please... it's a digital signal, so there is no "platinum super edition" HDMI cable like Monster or bestbuy would have you to believe.

I also saw the 99 dollar HDMI cables in the stores and laugh my ass off everytime.

I got three HDMI cables with a 4 port HDMI switch box from monoprice.com (cause my TV only has one input) for something like 70 bucks last year.

and don't ever buy cables from a retail store, that's a huge rip off for you.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Yea, this is hardware question better asked in the hardware forum right below this software forum.

But -

1- Are your sure your DVI connector on the TV is HDCP compliant. Most are, but check your TV's manual to make sure. The HDMI output from any device will not work with a DVI connection that is not fully HDCP complaint.

2-Have you tried connecting anything else to the TV's DVI connection? The quality with DVI varies. On my HDTV, the DVI connection is always sharper, and preferable.

3- Yes, definitely go with a HDMI>DVI cable from Amazon, or like the one I use from Monoprice.com, for $10-$20. For any cable run under 10 feet, these have been proved to be just as good as the $100+ Monster cable rip off.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 PM

I'm always more comfortable using HDMI (plus you need it for up conversion), but personally I have always thought the HDMI>component argument is a little exaggerated. If your TV isn't amazing, then you're probably not going to notice too much of a difference.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 AM

I think it depends a lot on equipment quality too, I am using all Monster Component Cables for my system - no HDMI at the moment. My Denon 2910 DVD showed no visible difference with HDMI - but looks phenomenal with component. The only problem I'm having though - is not enough component connections! I have three on my receiver, and two on the TV - but they're all full. My next piece is going to have to use HDMI just to fit!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM

my tv is a 17" 1080i TV so I cant use HDMI So component looks great as far as I am concerned on small TVs you cant tell the difference. For you though use HDMI