Loss of sound - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-01-2007, 06:57 PM

Default Loss of sound

HI group,

I have a question. I own a Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player and a new Sony BDP-300 Blue Ray player. I am using them both with a Samsung 32" HDTV. During about 1 of every 4 movies, the sound just goes silent. Basically, the movie is playing fine and then the sound just disappears. I press the input button on my remote and it cycles back to the HDMI input and the sound is back again. It has never gone out more than one time during a movie.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I doubt it is either player as it happens about the same amount of times with each one. Could it be the HDMI syncing to the TV?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
jeff
Old 07-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Well this could probably be a number of things. Do you have your sound going out through a receiver? It may be that the speaker wires are not connected properly if this is the case. It may be the HDMI cable that you're using is faulty and is causing signal dropouts to occur every so often. It's a little difficult to say what your problem is through without knowing the particulars of your setup. Are you using the same HDMI cable for both of the players? Or from the same manufacturer?
Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a separate HDMI cable going from each machine to the back of my TV as my TV has 3 HDMI inputs. I am not using a receiver just a direct player to TV HDMI connecxtion with each player having its own HDMI cable.

jeff
Old 07-02-2007, 10:09 AM

I think samsung TV's have iffy HDMI ports. I have last years LNS4095D, and I couldn't use the DVI on the cable box, nor the upscaling DVD player that I had on it. However, they both worked on my JVC CRT with no problems. Just recently I found a firmware update on AVSforum for the TV and now they both work. I think you should call up samsung and ask them if they can have a tech come out with a firmware update for your tv. Also, my friend had a 2 year old samsung LNR series, and his HDMI port completely died and had to get the tv replaced.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for your help!!

jeff