360add-on and 1080i output - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 343
Default 360add-on and 1080i output

I have the 360 w/ add-on and componant cables. It's connected to a 42" LCD that is capable of 1080p. Whenever the video source is selceted it'll display what it's current setting is.

About half of my HD dvd's will play in 1080i even though both my monitor and discs say they should play in 1080p. The other half play in 1080p. Why is this?

If I got an HDMI cable would everything display in 1080p all the time?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMattyP View Post
I have the 360 w/ add-on and componant cables. It's connected to a 42" LCD that is capable of 1080p. Whenever the video source is selceted it'll display what it's current setting is.

About half of my HD dvd's will play in 1080i even though both my monitor and discs say they should play in 1080p. The other half play in 1080p. Why is this?

If I got an HDMI cable would everything display in 1080p all the time?
It might have something to do with HDCP on the discs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2007, 06:24 PM
mmmmDoNut's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,107
Default

The component output for the XBOX only goes to 1080i. Only the VGA and Elite will do 1080p.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2007, 07:59 PM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
The component output for the XBOX only goes to 1080i. Only the VGA and Elite will do 1080p.
Not true, you can output 1080p via component if your television supports it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Patsfan123's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 898
Default

The component cable will output 1080p for games/videos on the hard drive. It will output 1080i for HD DVD since AACS won't allow 1080p unprotected. For DVDs it will only output 480p since that is CSS allows.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
The component cable will output 1080p for games/videos on the hard drive. It will output 1080i for HD DVD since AACS won't allow 1080p unprotected. For DVDs it will only output 480p since that is CSS allows.
this is where an xbox elite comes in handy because of its hdmi output capability. my tv will display what resolution is coming from the xbox 360 via component cable. i can confirm every part of the above statement. i don't know what CSS is though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2007, 08:25 PM
james's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 18,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
The component cable will output 1080p for games/videos on the hard drive. It will output 1080i for HD DVD since AACS won't allow 1080p unprotected. For DVDs it will only output 480p since that is CSS allows.
Hmmm....I thought the 1080i HD DVD output limitation due to AACS hadn't been implemented, yet. The OP stated he was able to get 1080p via component, is he confused?

The CSS limitation is true.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
The component output for the XBOX only goes to 1080i. Only the VGA and Elite will do 1080p.
to clarify, this is true for playing DVDs and HD DVDs. as stated in a previous post, all games and *videos stored on the hard drive* are displayed at up to 1080p.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Patsfan123's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hmmm....I thought the 1080i HD DVD output limitation due to AACS hadn't been implemented, yet. The OP stated he was able to get 1080p via component, is he confused?

The CSS limitation is true.
The 1080i limit over component for AACS has always been enforced, even on standalones. What you are thinking of is the ICT (image constraint token) which will only allow 540p output once enabled. This has not been enabled yet however, and probably won't be for a number of years. Also, ICT is enabled per disc (by a flag on the disc) by the studio and will be optional. You don't have to worry about some "shutoff date" for component. Some studios have stated that they will never enable it, while some have expressed interest in it. Fox which is DRM crazy as seen by their BD+ support would like to get this enabled as soon as possible. Some people think that studios have agreed on not using ICT until a certain date.

CSS is the DRM on SD DVD's. Like AACS is on HD DVD and Blu-ray.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2007, 09:21 PM
mmmmDoNut's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Not true, you can output 1080p via component if your television supports it.
Cool. Always good to learn something new.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Onkyo TX-SR705 would not output 1080i via HDMI sideon Home Theater Gear 4 03-08-2008 11:38 PM
Can the PS3 output Blu Ray movies to 1080i? Billbofet Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 2 10-31-2007 10:52 AM
Upscaling to 1080i via component output on BD/HD players for non-copy protected discs sstong General Discussion: Both Formats 0 10-31-2007 04:34 AM
720P or 1080i what do I set my A2's output to? John32 HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 12 09-01-2007 11:12 PM
1080i out from Component Output on HD-A2? gotcho HD DVD Hardware General Discussion 8 01-20-2007 06:52 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off