HD-XA2 HDMI Audio Setup - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-30-2007, 01:06 PM

Question HD-XA2 HDMI Audio Setup

Hi everyone, please help me, I bought recently a HD-XA2, Onkyo 7.1 804 and Full HD Sony Bravia 40" but when I listened the audio, sounds poor and lower not than good as Bluray or XBOX DVD Movies.

I need some advices or help to setup correctly or some workaround in order to improve my audio, I wish to enjoy DT-HD and DD+ and whatever.

Can somebody help me? What need do I to setup correctly and listend good.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:25 PM

You should be connected to the receiver with HMDI. In the audio section of the player's setup menu, change HDMI output to "Auto" and SPDIF output to "PCM". Turn off Dynamic Range Compression. Turn off Dialogue Enhancement.

Change the speaker setting to 5.1 and set your speaker sizes and distances. After this, you should use a calibration disc and sound level meter to adjust the levels for each channel.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned

That sounds right except for the setting the 5.1 speaker settings. You only have to do that if you are using the anolog outs not with HDMI, you would set your speakers up at your reciever unless that reciever has an auto set up feature then your manual will tell you how to do that.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:07 PM

With those advices is enough to improve quality and leve of the sound?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:18 PM

Well of course there are many things that one can do to hopefully improve sound in setting up a surround system. Look at some websites regarding "home theater setup". Make sure your speakers are configured correctly. Buy an inexpensive sound meter to check decibel levels, etc. Make sure speakers are placed on stands if needed, etc. So really you have like two pieces to the equation: 1. Internal setup/ component setup (menu set-up on the actual devices) and 2. Room setup (which I have been talking about, including even choosing quality speaker wire and interconnects etc.) So really a lot of things can affect sound, positively or negatively.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM

What should I be set at with my XA2 since I am only using HDMI?