Upconversion of VHS tapes and DVD to HDTV???? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Unhappy Upconversion of VHS tapes and DVD to HDTV????

HI

1) Can You "up convert" a SD signal from a VHS tape?
Some products say that both VHS and DVD are up converted
but others are ambiguous...and reading comments left by consumer reviewers it seemed that many
people were stating that VHS cannot be up converted....you have to transfer it to DVD...then it would be "up Converted"

2) any good "up converters"

looked at
Panasonic DMR-EZ48VK 1080p Upconverting VHS DVD Recorder with Built In Tuner
but a good 1/3 of reviews say it stops working after 1 to 3 years
and
Magnavox DVD Recorder/VCR Combo, HDMI 1080p Up-Conversion, No Tuner
great price but maybe half the reviews are really not so good.
by Panasonic

I'm a newbie to the hidef world...getting my first HDTV (LCD LED) shortly
Lots of old VHS tapes and DVD (mostly Old movies, PBS stuff only in SD) I'd like to still enjoy.

Any help appreciated
Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Your TV will automatically upconvert to whatever its native resolution is from all of its inputs. Depending on what model TV you buy, its entirely possible its upconversion capabilities will be better than the upconverting VHS player's capabilities. For example, I used to have a Samsung DLP with a Faroudja scaler chip and it did a fantastic job upscaling DVDs. Now I have a Pioneer Kuro and it too has excellent scaling capabilities.

I prefer a good scaling chip right in the TV. There's no need for every single source device to have its own upscaler.

By the way, I don't think this thread really belongs in the HD-DVD forums.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Your TV will automatically upconvert to whatever its native resolution is from all of its inputs. Depending on what model TV you buy, its entirely possible its upconversion capabilities will be better than the upconverting VHS player's capabilities. For example, I used to have a Samsung DLP with a Faroudja scaler chip and it did a fantastic job upscaling DVDs. Now I have a Pioneer Kuro and it too has excellent scaling capabilities.

I prefer a good scaling chip right in the TV. There's no need for every single source device to have its own upscaler.

By the way, I don't think this thread really belongs in the HD-DVD forums.
Thanks for the info
Sorry if this is the wrong forum...
where should I post to?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:10 PM

Probably the Home Theater section. This is the HD-DVD forum, where we pretend that HD-DVD is better than Blu-Ray.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM

I suspect this thread will get moved, but you should know there are some receivers out there, like the Pioneer VSX-1020k and VSX-1120k that are capable of upscaling any input to 1080p, and I can tell you from experience they do a mighty nice job. Just don't expect miracles, VHS has a pretty low native resolution! (less than 480i!)
Old 08-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
Probably the Home Theater section. This is the HD-DVD forum, where we pretend that HD-DVD is better than Blu-Ray.
LOL, so true....