HD DVD Players HD-A35 vs. HD-A20...Which Would You Keep and Why? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM

Default HD DVD Players HD-A35 vs. HD-A20...Which Would You Keep and Why?

I have two HD DVD players, a HD-A35 and a HD-A20. I want to sell one, and keep one. Which would you keep, and why? I am building a HTPC which will have a combo drive, I am selling one to compensate for part of my PC build.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:12 AM

I owned both but sold the HD-A35 primarily because it was worth more money. I think both players are very good but the fact the HD-A35 can bitstream DTS-HD MA makes it preferred to me. I am sure the 35 is still worth more money on the market although I doubt if either one is worth a lot at this point. If you don't have any DTS-HD MA discs, it would be clear that selling the HD-A35 would be the move if you need some money.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM

It can also bitstream both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA as well right?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:56 AM

The point is the HD-A35 can handle DTS-HD MA by bitstream while the HD-A20 can not bitstream or decode DTS-HD MA. Both the HD-A35 and HD-A20 can decode Dolby TrueHD. I only had my HD-A35 set to decode Dolby TrueHD, never bitstream and although I should be able to remember if it will also bitstream Dobly TrueHD, I don't remember the answer for certain. I believe it is correct to say the HD-A35 will bitstream all audio codecs it handles over HDMI 1.3 to a receiver that can decode everything but let's wait for someone that still uses the player to confirm that. If nobody here is still using the player to confirm that, well then take it to the bank, the HD-A35 will bitstream Dolby TrueHD since nobody has refuted that statement.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:56 AM

My HD-A32.5 (A30 w/ A35 firmware) will bit stream all codecs except the two big ones TrueHD and DTS-HD MA it does TrueHD decoding internally and sends it out PCM however. DTS-HD MA will only be core but I only have one HD DVD disc that is DTS-HD MA.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM

The HD-A35 will bitstream all codecs (lossy and lossless) over hdmi in their native state to a receiver capable of decoding them.
The A35 is my current everyday hd-dvd player in my home theater.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I only had my HD-A35 set to decode Dolby TrueHD, never bitstream and although I should be able to remember if it will also bitstream Dobly TrueHD, I don't remember the answer for certain. I believe it is correct to say the HD-A35 will bitstream all audio codecs it handles over HDMI 1.3 to a receiver that can decode everything but let's wait for someone that still uses the player to confirm that. If nobody here is still using the player to confirm that, well then take it to the bank, the HD-A35 will bitstream Dolby TrueHD since nobody has refuted that statement.
I also think like chris. so I agree with chris..