Toshiba HD-A30...Any way to confirm it is really outputting TrueHD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-12-2010, 04:16 PM

Default Toshiba HD-A30...Any way to confirm it is really outputting TrueHD?

Hi folks. I was watching Matrix Reloaded last night and I decided to switch to my dolby track just to see if it sounded a lot different than true hd and to my surprise it didn't. I was wondering if there was a way to confirm that it is really playing the true hd track when I have it set as such? The info button does confirm it is decoding true hd and outputting PCM which is all this player does but I was wondering if there was another way to tell. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:01 PM

I am not aware of another way but if you are selecting Dolby TrueHD and the player indicates Dolby TrueHD, I believe there is no reason to question what you are hearing. I use the player and I am convinced it does in fact decode Dolby TrueHD.

Chris
Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

Yeah I know. Guess I am just paranoid. I didn't hear that much of a difference though between tracks. Oh well.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM

I didn't notice much of a difference on my RCA HDV5000 either. I think it may be due to the fact that the Matrix Triology has a very good DD+ encode.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 AM

If you connect an A30 via an optical or coax digital audio connection, and then select a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack on a title, it will still send a Dolby Digital audio signal to your receiver. Is it possible that when you bitstream over hdmi as lpcm and select a Dolby TrueHD track for playback that the player is actually using the standard lossy dolby digital signal off the disc to convert to lpcm and send down the line (and therefore you should not hear any difference)?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
If you connect an A30 via an optical or coax digital audio connection, and then select a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack on a title, it will still send a Dolby Digital audio signal to your receiver. Is it possible that when you bitstream over hdmi as lpcm and select a Dolby TrueHD track for playback that the player is actually using the standard lossy dolby digital signal off the disc to convert to lpcm and send down the line (and therefore you should not hear any difference)?
Right that is the question I'm asking.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridergroov1 View Post
Right that is the question I'm asking.
I just pulled up the manual and looked through it. The manual makes it sound like bitstreaming audio via hdmi (settings = Digital Out HDMI & Auto), results in TrueHD being converted to LPCM and a lossless signal sent down the line. DTS-HD still only sends the lossy "core" down the line.

So, I would rely on your screen display to tell you if the player is using a DD or TrueHD track to convert to lpcm and send it down the hdmi line. You may find there really isn't a huge difference (something which has been debated ad nauseum in here at times). The type and quality of your audio system (especially speakers) may come into play here also. I can honestly say I do believe I hear better audio using my newer receiver which can decode native lossless digital audio from my A35 and blu-ray player. However, these are unscientific personal perceptions as I have no way to do side by side, volume equalized, double-blind comparisons.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
I just pulled up the manual and looked through it. The manual makes it sound like bitstreaming audio via hdmi (settings = Digital Out HDMI & Auto), results in TrueHD being converted to LPCM and a lossless signal sent down the line. DTS-HD still only sends the lossy "core" down the line.

So, I would rely on your screen display to tell you if the player is using a DD or TrueHD track to convert to lpcm and send it down the hdmi line. You may find there really isn't a huge difference (something which has been debated ad nauseum in here at times). The type and quality of your audio system (especially speakers) may come into play here also. I can honestly say I do believe I hear better audio using my newer receiver which can decode native lossless digital audio from my A35 and blu-ray player. However, these are unscientific personal perceptions as I have no way to do side by side, volume equalized, double-blind comparisons.
Right this model can only decode the TrueHD audio and send to receiver as PCM. That's fine for this since I don't have a lot of HD DVDs. When I change the track the player does indeed tell me that it is decoding true hd and outputting as PCM. I'm sure it is and I just can't tell on this particular movie for whatever reason. I just bought a better receiver which I should have next week. Perhaps that is the problem. I have pretty decent speakers so I don't think they are holding me back. I always bitstream the audio from my PS3 to have it decode on the receiver though. Something about seeing the "little blue light". Oh well. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 AM

I can tell the difference by the fact DD+ plays louder then when switching to the TrueHD.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 PM

I have a similar issue. I connected my Tosh A30 to my new Pioneer 1019AH receiver (via hdmi) and while the display on the A30 reads 'DD+' or 'TrueHD'...the receiver always reads 'PCM+PLIIx MV'. Other compnents are getting the correct audio display and output on the receiver. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with the A30?