HD DVD - Ahead of its time? - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:19 AM

Default HD DVD - Ahead of its time?

I use my A35 on a very regular basis, almost daily, for both HD DVD & SDVD. I have had the player since the anouncement of HD DVDs demise, and short of being able to stream NetFlix thru it, and getting load times to decrease, I really don't see how this format could be improved upon. Every disc I insert plays flawlessly. In fact, in the beginning, I had freezes often, but the more I use it, I rarely have a freeze unless the disc itself is damaged. I can count on one hand (and still have digits left over ) how many lock-ups I've had in the last 6 months.

Has anyone else had as good of fortune as me? I have well over 300 HD DVD discs, store them all in Discgear storage units, and I still can't bring myself to buy a blu-ray player. Not that I have anything against blu-ray, but I hear of all the problems about discs not playing, the fact that discs still cost too much in my opinion, that streaming is literally ready to surpass the format. I want to find a player that equals my A35 in quality and functionality at a reasonable price. I hear that blu-ray has finally caught up with HD DVD, but like my A35 is the best of its format, I want the best of the BD format; but am unwilling to spend $200-$300 for the player.

Yes, I think HD DVD was ahead of its time.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Indeed. I don't know about everybody else, but I personally prefer consumer-product strategies that involve testbedding products/platforms before shipping them.

Toshiba earned a loyal customer with me.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

Apparently watching new movies (i.e. released, you know, after 2008) in 1080p & with lossless audio doesn't matter to you guys. I think most would say your loss.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintsarecoming
Apparently watching new movies (i.e. released, you know, after 2008) in 1080p & with lossless audio doesn't matter to you guys. I think most would say your loss.
This has nothing to do with the topic.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:05 PM

This is a funny thread since it is my understanding that negative comments refuting the premise can't be offered in this section. Given that constraint, all I can say is the answer to the question is no, it was behind its time and quickly disappeared as a result of that fact.

Chris
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Not really behind per se' but not vastly ahead either.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
This is a funny thread since it is my understanding that negative comments refuting the premise can't be offered in this section. Given that constraint, all I can say is the answer to the question is no, it was behind its time and quickly disappeared as a result of that fact.

Chris
Well, you are free to dispute the question. I am asking opinions after all. But I do not want this to turn into a blu-ray is the best type thread. I know full well the winner of the war, but people fail to recognize that any movie that is available on HD DVD that I have never seen, IS new (to me) & I can watch in 1080p with lossless sound. )
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
Not really behind per se' but not vastly ahead either.
Vastly? No, even I wouldn't say that. However, far enough ahead to be worth mentioning. I mean, when it takes years to be equalled (not surpassed) then that, to me, says something.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Banned

Since we are offering opinions I say the ps3 slays your HD DVD player. It does everything flawlessly and streams media and is 3d upgradeable. I don't see how the ps3 can be improved upon. Oh, and it came out before your a35. 4 years later and it is still being upgraded to match new technology. That's what I call ahead if its time.

Last edited by thesaintsarecoming; 06-22-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:40 PM

@thesaitsarecoming

HD DVD players were never meant to be all in one media centers. They never stated they can "make.believe" or whatever other slogan to sell. All it was, was a movie player, nothing else. Sure Netflix and Pandora would've been cool had HD DVD been alive still, but just because you have quantity in terms of content, it doesn't always equal quality.

However, HD DVD players never had an overheating problem to make consumers spend another $300-400 to get what they already had in the first place because they thought their first version was "future proof".

Not to mention companies will always find a way to make a current product obsolete. For all we know 3D TV will be a fad because we're still in an economic slump and people who were patient to hold off on the format war, are now just being to get in to standard BD because it took 3 years for the prices to drop. Also, BD games haven't even begun to use the full potential of the PS3 hardware and software capabilities.

If you're wondering about me, I have and own both formats. HD is HD to me.

Tell me, are you using BD Live and all the other features on each and every one of your BD discs?

HD DVD was, IMO, way ahead of it's time. It was complete after 4 firmware updates (more with dual format players) and if it was missing "plethoras of special features" I wasn't complaining because load times were constant for all discs and I could import titles without having to worry about region locking. It just goes to show marketing psychology is the way to make or break things nowadays.
Closed Thread