HDA2 qualtiy issue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-27-2007, 12:43 AM

Default HDA2 qualtiy issue

Hello, I've posted this in another forum in the off chance that someone else may have had the problem that I encountered. Also glad I stumbled onto this forum as it has been of great help to me. The following is my response to a poster in another forum who was having the same problem I:

Hopefully I won't confuse as I am pretty green to all of this HD DVD technology.

I bought the same player about 3 weeks ago and was going to return it for my 30 day refund at CC. I have the same Sony HD TV's at 50" and 42". I hooked up my player via HDMI and watched 3 movies, including King Kong on the 50", and was very disappointed with the picture no matter what adjustments I made. With the audio I'm usually at 25-30 as far as volume control goes. Watching the HD movies I had to crank the volume to 70-80. Before returning the player I moved it to my 42" and used the HDMI attached from my sat receiver (moved it to to my HD DVD...my set-up is simple on both HD TV's as it goes from the HD DVD to the TV without going through a receiver). I put King Kong back in and before the picture even came up I knew from the audio that the problem was resolved. I hadn't even adjusted the audio, yet the sound which preceded the visual came through at the 25-30 setting...in addition, the picture quality was astounding. It tells me that either the HDMI that was attached on the 50" from my TV to the HD DVD was faulty, or the HDMI input on the Sony 50" was faulty.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:02 AM

Try a different cable from your player to your 50" set. If it does the same, it maybe your HDMI input on your set. I do know that audio is lower when running through an HDMI cable. I have to turn mine up also. Just try this and see. Trial by elimination.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:09 AM

Just for testing purposes I'm going to switch out the HDMI cable on the 42" to the 50". Since all is well on the 42" I'm guessing the HDMI cable is bad. If the quality is still bad on the 50" with the swiched out cable the only remaining option would that the second HDMI jack on my Sony TV is bad. I was just relieved to see the quality come through when I moved the A20 to the 42" and it proved the player was not the problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Check your receiver and see how it is reading the audio signal. Mine did that once when I didnt have it on Pcm/Bitstream and was just reading it at a DTS single I believe. Had it up to 80 before I could hear any dialog. I knew something was wrong. Made the switch, and everything was fine.