What's necessary for playing HD DVDs on my laptop? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-22-2010, 07:48 AM

Default What's necessary for playing HD DVDs on my laptop?

Long story short - I'm travelling abroad and intend to continue at it for a while. However, I miss my movie collection dearly and next time I'm home for a visit would very much like to grab my discs and throw them in a fancy high-capacity CD/DVD wallet and drag them along with me.

Which brings me to my question; What exactly do I need to play HD DVDs on my laptop? I figure an HD DVD drive, external USB/FW enclosure, and specific versions of movie software that will actually support HD DVD playback.

I'm on a Mac, but have the ability to run XP, Vista or 7 with my notebook in conjunction with OS X. Might even consider a Linux flavor if there's a solid solution with that route.

I'm pretty tech savvy, just out of the loop with regards to the PC side and high-definition disc playback outside of the home theater component environment.

Any advice would be appreciated. hhhhdvd
Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 AM

While I am no expert on this, it will be very tricky for you on a Mac I think??.

You could probably make use of an Xbox Add on drive... Its nothing more than a Toshiba HD DVD rom in an external USB chasis.

For playback software, I do NOT believe that any versions of PowerDVD or WinDVD past version 8 support HD DVD any longer.

The last version of PowerDVD that supported HD DVD playback was 7.3
You used to be able to find ebay sellers for this, but I havent seen any in quite some time.

But on top of everything else, you setup would have to be HDCP compliant....meaning your internal graphics & the output display.

If you use AnyDVD, you could probably strip out the encryption to allow playback on non-compliant setups, but I have no idea what introducing the MAC would do.

I honestly think it would be easier for you to try to find a used Toshiba laptop that came configured with an internal HD DVD rom and was already setup up for what you want to do.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 AM

Well... for the sake of avoiding any confusion of the issue, forget that I even mentioned the word Mac. Because there's nothing particularly proprietary/exclusive in regard to hardware on the platform anymore. And by that I mean - an Intel powered Mac only exists as a Mac so long as you run Apple's OS on it. Under Windows/Linux, they're as much a PC as anything else you can buy/build. Hence my statement of a willingness to run Windows/Linux insofar as accomplishing what need be.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 AM

Hardwarewise, maybe something like this?
Toshiba USB 2.0 External HD DL DVD-RAM

Old 05-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
Well... for the sake of avoiding any confusion of the issue, forget that I even mentioned the word Mac. Because there's nothing particularly proprietary/exclusive in regard to hardware on the platform anymore. And by that I mean - an Intel powered Mac only exists as a Mac so long as you run Apple's OS on it. Under Windows/Linux, they're as much a PC as anything else you can buy/build. Hence my statement of a willingness to run Windows/Linux insofar as accomplishing what need be.
OK... So the first thing to clear up then would be is your current "PC" configuration compatible with playing a Bluray from an external rom drive without issues, since if the answer is NO, then you wont be able to play HD DVD's either.

Then, you are back to the software issue as I beleive none of the current PC DVD/Bluray playback software packages no longer support HD DVD with the exception of ARCSOFT's TOTAL MEDIA 3 which will set you back $ 90 US.

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/softwa...ductCode=TMT3P

However, as I mentioned eariler PowerDVD supported HD DVD up to version 7.3 which is still sought after by many just because of that. I believe there is a hack/patch to restore HD DVD playback to PowerDVD version 8 but not sure. There used to be a ton of sellers on Ebay last year selling downloads of version 7.3 with a license key that actually worked for $ 5.

I no longer see any listings for PowerDVD 7.3, but if simple playback of HD DVD's is all your looking for without dropping a ton of cash, finding a copy of it with a valid registration key is your best option.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 AM

Apparently my machine is HDCP compliant, no question.

So I guess that means I'm good to go and all I need is an Xbox HD DVD add-on and the appropriate software (and Windows itself).

Excellent...
Old 05-22-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Apparently my machine is HDCP compliant, no question.

So I guess that means I'm good to go and all I need is an Xbox HD DVD add-on and the appropriate software (and Windows itself).

Excellent...
Just get the Xbox add-on. I've seen it for like $20 around.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:59 PM

I believe you need the platinum version of Arcsoft TMT 3. That is what I use for BD/HD-DVD playback.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Wow...we're finally getting some MAC/PC questions in here. I still feel we need a HTPC/Computer/MAC section on this site. Anyway, Centauri do you have a copy of Windows XP laying around? If so, then try installing Parallels Desktop 5.0 or greater, install Windows XP in Parallels, and install Total Media Theater 3 Platinum or Gold Eddition and you're there on that MAC. I would purchase that Xbox 360 add-on drive as well. As one person stated before, you can use Slysoft's AnyDVD HD to get rid of the encryption and bypass the HDCP compiance issue all together if that becomes a problem as well. The reason why somw people utilize both the PowerDVD 7.3 build and Total Media 3 is mainly because actually PowerDVD offers certain codecs that Total Media doesn't offer. Lastly, be aware of sync issues on some titles when utilizing PowerDVD 7.3.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM

I would use PDVD 7.3 Ultra and the HD DVD Add-on drive under XP, Vista, or 7. I have never seen any sync issues with PDVD as long as you use the recommended patch version. There is a thread over at AVS that can cover that. AFAIK PDVD 7.3 Ultra does work under 7. 7.3 is still the best version IMO.