HD-A2 HDMI issue!! Please help! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Question HD-A2 HDMI issue!! Please help!

Hey guys and gals...I just picked up a HD-A2 and am already having major issues...

I hooked up the HD-A2 to my Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi via HDMI. When I powered everything up, there was audio, but no video (infamous green screen of handshaking death). Hooking the HD-A2 to my Sim2 Domino 20H directly via HDMI yielded a picture (beautiful one, at that).

There was a thread posted a while ago about something similar (HD-A2 video issues through HDMI)

The last post was a quote from Pioneer regarding receiver firmware upgrade. Did this solve the problem for you guys affected?

Anyone else like to throw their hat in the ring? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 PM

It does indeed output video through HDMI looking at your manual. Make sure that you have all the input output settings correct. I know I had to set the video in/out for each connection I had with my Onkyo.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbobarry View Post
It does indeed output video through HDMI looking at your manual. Make sure that you have all the input output settings correct. I know I had to set the video in/out for each connection I had with my Onkyo.
I thought that sounded odd - it was my experience that the early / less expensive HDMI receivers did the opposite - they passed through the video via HDMI but couldn't receive the audio via HDMI. (Not to say any Pioneer Elite series is 'inexpensive')

And I've never heard of the "infamous green screen of handshaking death" - whenever my XA1 has an HDCP issue, it just says "no HDMI link", and then "stop".

That the OP got the A2 HDMI output to work when connected directly to his display would indicate he has all the settings on the A2 sett correctly (V.Output set to HDMI, resolution set to 1080), so it must be a setting the receiver, check the manual for settings. I know on an Onkyo you have to assign the HDMI input port to a device button on the remote (DVD, SAT, etc.) Do you have another device with HDMI output you can try on that receiver input to see if it works?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 AM

Yes, the receiver does pass both audio and video through HDMI. My PS3 and Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi are hooked up via HDMI without a hitch. Also tested it on my panel with the same results.

The green screen of death is specific to my projector (black screen of death on my panel lol). It's pretty much a signal being passed, but not being passed.

My receiver has manual input set-up so everything is in order, but still no picture.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 PM

I got confused with the audio pass-through issue. Sorry.

Last edited by Arkadin; 06-24-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 PM

I'll be calling both Toshiba and Pioneer tomorrow to see what they have to say. Either Pioneer's firmware update will fix the issue or maybe the HD-A2 is a dud and I'll need to get it exchanged.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick2001 View Post
I'll be calling both Toshiba and Pioneer tomorrow to see what they have to say. Either Pioneer's firmware update will fix the issue or maybe the HD-A2 is a dud and I'll need to get it exchanged.
Doesn't sound like it;s the A2 if you got a picture connecting directly to you display. Let us know what Pioneer/Toshiba have to say.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Doesn't sound like it;s the A2 if you got a picture connecting directly to you display. Let us know what Pioneer/Toshiba have to say.
So I called Pioneer this morning and after confirming the version number, the rep said I needed the firmware update. However, he got a bit nervous when I said that I've had no issues with my DV-59AVi or my PS3. In the end, he stuck to his guns and said I should make the trek to their service centre for the update.

What did Toshiba have to say? Nothing. Their office was closed today.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:38 AM

Toshiba's customer service department are a bunch of wankers...I had to call a third party service shop to get the answer I need. Let's hope the receiver firmware update works!