Is there a Regionlocked HD-DVD player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Default Is there a Regionlocked HD-DVD player?

A man on the Swedish website Blocket sold a HD-DVD player which originally was sold the US. I mailed him and asked how well it worked. He said that it worked fine but he also said that it didn't operate with European HD-DVD's!? I don't remember which model it was, which movies he tried with the player or if the player had a firmware update but even if - is there really any HD-DVD player that does not work with European HD-DVD's? I'm aware of that most of the HD-DVD players from the US won't operate with standard DVD that are in Region 2 but they should be able to operate with all HD-DVD's?

Please help me, I can't find any information about this on any website so I'm asking my question here instead.

Sorry for my bad English. ^^
Old 04-07-2010, 12:43 PM

That would have nothing to do with region locking but the fact some foreign release HD DVD's do not play in some North American HD DVD players. If you can get a list of the discs that don't play, it probably won't be difficult to determine if all are among the known problem discs for some players. If I recall correctly, the 2nd generation of Toshiba players did the best job with the difficult foreign HD DVD's but I don't think any generation was able to play 100%. I haven't seen an explanation of why this is since all HD DVD's were supposed to play in all players.

Chris
Old 05-04-2010, 07:48 AM

In theory all hhhhdvds should play in any player across the world. In reality, some studios like Fox/Pathe introduced experimental Copy Protection on titles like Two Brothers and Stalingrad which subsequently were difficult to play in many players worldwide. Possibly the Swedish seller in this case has confused the fact that Region 1 SD DVDs for example would not play in an hhhhdvd player of European origin which would only be able to playback Region 2 DVDs and vice versa.