HD-DVD Audio problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Default HD-DVD Audio problem

I just recently picked up a Toshiba HD-A2 Hd-DVD player. I have the Unit Connected to my sylvania 42in LCD tv via HDMI cable.

I cant get my Audio working correctly. I get Volume just not much of it To hear voices i have to turn it way up then music is crazy loud.

I have a PS3 and a seperate Blu-ray player all hooked up the same through hdmi and ive not had any issues.

Ive tried every setting i can think of to get the volume evened out

Ive checked my firmware and i have 4.0/t23t

Any suggestions please
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 AM

If you have it connected directly to your TV via HDMI (not through a receiver), then in the player Setup Menu, under Audio, make sure you have HDMI audio set to PCM Downmix (2 channel).
Old 04-05-2010, 02:16 PM

Tried that . no change volume is still way to low.

The real confusing part is that the volume is only low on the english audio tracks.
If I swap to a diff language then volume comes back up to normal
Old 04-05-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpiral View Post
Tried that . no change volume is still way to low.

The real confusing part is that the volume is only low on the english audio tracks.
If I swap to a diff language then volume comes back up to normal
Well, then try changing the other settings in the Audio Setup -

Dynamic Range Control: Auto on affects TrueHD audio tracks - there's a command in TrueHD that can activate it, Warner titles usually have it. ON/Off affect Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus. If you have it On, trying setting it to Off.

Dialog Enhancement: If you have it Off, try turning it On.

There some combination of the two that your TV doesn't like.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 PM

Well after considerable tweaking i haven't fixed the audio issue but I've narrowed it down a bit I think..

It seems that on some movies regardless the settings the audio plays at a normal volume.

movies such as terminator 3, Harry potter Boxset 1-5, Swordfish etc play at correct volumes.

However movies such as Water World, Atonement , Pulse, beowulf play at a much lower volume making them basically unwatchable.

by correct and lower volume i mean for instance. when watching a normal HD-DVD or Blu-ray i keep my TV volume around 25-30. With the movies listed above i find myself not being able to hear Whats being said even with volume upwards of 50 even though the music will blow me away lol.

I'm truly Confused as to why some movies play volume fine and other don't.

A common theme ive noticed is Movies that i have issues with are playback in mpeg-4 where as movies that i have no issues with playback at vc-1.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpiral View Post
Well after considerable tweaking i haven't fixed the audio issue but I've narrowed it down a bit I think..

It seems that on some movies regardless the settings the audio plays at a normal volume.

movies such as terminator 3, Harry potter Boxset 1-5, Swordfish etc play at correct volumes.

However movies such as Water World, Atonement , Pulse, beowulf play at a much lower volume making them basically unwatchable.

by correct and lower volume i mean for instance. when watching a normal HD-DVD or Blu-ray i keep my TV volume around 25-30. With the movies listed above i find myself not being able to hear Whats being said even with volume upwards of 50 even though the music will blow me away lol.

I'm truly Confused as to why some movies play volume fine and other don't.

A common theme ive noticed is Movies that i have issues with are playback in mpeg-4 where as movies that i have no issues with playback at vc-1.
Well, I don't think the VC-1 vs. AVC/mpeg4 video codec has anything to do with your audio problem - of the titles you listed as having low volume, Water World & Atonement use VC-1, only Pulse & Beowulf use AVC. And there's a mix of Dolby Digital Plus & TrueHD in the titles with normal and low volume, so the audio codec isn't the issue either. The one thing that is common is that the titles with "normal" volume are all from Warner, and Warner always uses Dialog Normalization. Dialog Normalization is only used with Dolby audio codecs, and when applied it lowers the surrounding audio to -4 decibels to boast the volume of spoken dialog over surround sound effects.

So, again, I would check the settings in the Audio Setup in the player and set Dialog Normalization to ON.