Looking for anyone with broken A3, A30 or A35 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2010, 02:25 AM

Default Looking for anyone with broken A3, A30 or A35

The disc drive firmware in my A30 was corrupted during a firmware update. I was able to confirm that all I need to do is swap out the disc drive by swapping the disc drive from my A35 into it and it worked. I am looking for someone whose player either won't power up, gets stuck on the welcome screen at startup, or has some other problem not associated with the disc drive. If you have a player that may have a good drive in it please let me know. Even if your drive has a mechanical problem I may still be able to use it by transferring the circuit board from your drive to mine. I am looking on Ebay for one, but so far haven't been able to acquire one for a reasonable price.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 11:40 PM

if you call toshiba you can trade it in and they will sell you a new 1 for 115 bucks . Thats what i did when a firmware update fucked up this lemon i won of ebay for 50 bucks. I made to sure to ask that it was new and not refurbed . Sure enough i got it in yesterday and it's a brand new a30 , still in the wrap and it even has the 2 movies (bourn 300) so not bad for 115 bucks. I wonder how many of these fucking things they got lying around at toshiba usa ?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 AM

I can get a working player from Ebay or Craigs list cheaper than $115. I'm looking for someone that has a player with a bad power supply or bad main board that will give me or sell me the disc drive from their unit. The firmware on my disc drive was corrupted during a firmware update. I confirmed that I just need to replace the disc drive by testing it with the disc drive from my A35. Even if the disc drive is physically damaged I can probably pull the board that has the firmware and put it on my drive to fix my drive.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 PM

yea but this was a NEW player , no hours , wear n tear etc. just extended my hd dvd viewing life by 5-8 years hhhhdvd
Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Your logic makes sense.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM

considering its a dead format that i want to use for my lifetime yes it is
Old 02-23-2010, 01:17 PM

I got a broken D3 from Ebay for $27. It has a blown fuse on the power supply board and some broken mechanical parts in the disc drive, but I was able to transfer the circuit board from the disc drive to my drive and my A30 is back up and running. The main board firmware is at 4.0 and the disc drive is at 1.1. It has played the couple discs that I put in it flawlessly. I wish the drive firmware was at 2.0, but not sure it needs it at this point. I'm going to see if replacing the fuse on the power supply board will fix the A3 and maybe I can use it to update the firmware on the A30 drive.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:18 PM

You could roll back the firmware on the A30 to version 1.3, and see if upgrading to 4.0 again will also upgrade the firmware of the drive.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm a bit nervous about doing that, because the last disc I burned to do the initial 4.0 update is what fried the firmware on my drive in the first place. I'm not sure what went wrong, but apparently my burn of the ISO image was good enough that it started doing the update, but crashed either during 1/4 or 2/4 I think and toasted the drive firmware. I then tried doing the 4.0 update via the internet and it went through all the motions and updated the main board firmware fine, but after powering it back up when it was finished, it still did not see the drive.

I was hoping that a spike had just blown the fuse on the power supply of the D3 that I took the drive board from so I could use that main board to get it to update. Unfortunately, there is a coil or some other component shorted on the power supply that instantly blows new fuses so that idea didn't work. I could probably swap main boards temporarily from the D3 to the A30, but not knowing if it was something wrong with the main board that originally fried the power supply in the D3, it's not worth the risk of possibly frying the power supply in my A30 just to update the firmware of the A30s disc drive.

Another option would be getting someone to use a hex editor on a version of 4.0 so it would just install itself again over top of the existing 4.0, but that is almost as risky as rolling it back and then updating it again.

I have been wondering if having anydvd running while I was burning the ISO may have screwed with my ISO burn.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 PM

Ok, I've downloaded the 1.3 rollback firmware and burned the ISO image to a CD-R using imageburn and I ran the verify option twice. Am I pretty safe that the disc is good to do the rollback?