High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   HD DVD Hardware General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Toshiba HD-A2, 5.1 Surround? (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion/92038-toshiba-hd-a2-5-1-surround.html)

slickz 09-12-2009 01:23 AM

Toshiba HD-A2, 5.1 Surround?
 
All i can get is pro logic, not dolby digital. I am using an optical cable to my receiver(rca rt2250b). But it may also be possible it doesn't support it. I have used the optical cable from my dvd player and blu-ray player and it works fine.

So question is, does the A-2 do 5.1 surround?

kannisto 09-12-2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickz (Post 1679665)
All i can get is pro logic, not dolby digital. I am using an optical cable to my receiver(rca rt2250b). But it may also be possible it doesn't support it. I have used the optical cable from my dvd player and blu-ray player and it works fine.

So question is, does the A-2 do 5.1 surround?

Yes but it converts most audio sources including Dolby TrueHD and DD+ to DTS. DTS supports 1.5 mbps for optical output while DD can only be up to 640 kbps. Only if the source is plain DD 5.1 it will be output as DD. Maybe your receiver doesn't support DTS?

deano86 09-12-2009 09:39 AM

Make sure you didn't accidentally set your digital out to PCM stereo, make sure it is set for bitstream

frogmeat69 09-12-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano86 (Post 1679825)
Make sure you didn't accidentally set your digital out to PCM stereo, make sure it is set for bitstream

^+1 , he's a smart fella!!

slickz 09-13-2009 03:04 AM

okay, I'll try it tomorrow and let you know :)

slickz 09-13-2009 07:59 PM

Hmmm it must be my reciever, because i just bought fast & furious on blu ray.. and it does the same thing, but when its on the Menu it goes Dolby Digital 5.1

kannisto 09-15-2009 07:20 AM

The menu could well be in plain DD 5.1 but if the movie's audio is in DD+ or TrueHD A2 would normally be feeding DTS to your receiver through optical connection. A3 was different in that regard as it would convert DD+ and TrueHD to plain DD at 640 kbps for optical out.

JAC35 09-15-2009 02:13 PM

I can confirm A2 does convert TrueHD to DTS my receiver lights up as such. You should still get DD 5.1, have you tried a regular DVD with DD 5.1?

I don't recall what it does with DD+ but it sound reasonable that it would convert that too...

I miss that conversion, I wish the A-30 did that, although I a have a new HDMI amp that I'm just waiting to pull the trigger on some new speakers for anyway.

allargon 09-16-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAC35 (Post 1682772)
I can confirm A2 does convert TrueHD to DTS my receiver lights up as such. You should still get DD 5.1, have you tried a regular DVD with DD 5.1?

I don't recall what it does with DD+ but it sound reasonable that it would convert that too...

DD+ goes to DTS as well. I can personally confirm that.

doublejack 10-05-2009 01:52 PM

I know this question is a few weeks old now, but I wanted to add another confirmation that this is the normal behavior of the A2. The problem is that your receiver (rca rt2250b) does not support DTS. I also have a receiver (Polk Audio RMDS-1) that does not support DTS and that's why I sold the A2 I initially purchased in favor of an A3. The best audio I could get 90% of the time with the A2 was extrapolated Dolby Pro Logic from stereo, which stinks relative to DD 5.1

The problem is that many HD-DVD's have soundtracks that are better than vanilla DD 5.1, and all of those better formats get converted to DTS by the A2 before they're sent out on the optical connection. The A3 on the other hand converts all of those superior formats to vanilla DD 5.1. I believe this is actually a fairly common problem (there are many receivers that don't support DTS, but they're generally older now) which is why the A3 functions differently.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 AM.