Is there any software out that supports HD DVD still on PC ? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
I recently picked up my copy of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and cannot get it to update to the last version the installer errors out on Windows 7. Apparently Vista it works fine. The original install won't play until you update. I cant update cause I'm using Windows 7. Grr!!!

From my understanding TMT3 is supposed to work but it isn't officially supported. Have you tried in their forums to see if someone can help you fix it? Probably a filter or something that needs to be re-registered.
Have you tried setting it up to run in compatibility mode under Win7? That often works for me.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC35 View Post
I recently picked up my copy of PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and cannot get it to update to the last version the installer errors out on Windows 7. Apparently Vista it works fine. The original install won't play until you update. I cant update cause I'm using Windows 7. Grr!!!

From my understanding TMT3 is supposed to work but it isn't officially supported. Have you tried in their forums to see if someone can help you fix it? Probably a filter or something that needs to be re-registered.
Yeah looked every where but nothing seems to solve the problem, It definately plays them cause I get the Audio and the same thing happens with Blu-rays itoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
Have you tried setting it up to run in compatibility mode under Win7? That often works for me.
Yep, Tried it with all the compatibility modes and still no go.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:30 AM

Yeah there is actually an issue with either the installer on Windows 7 or the package itself. I setup a VM of Vista and it installed and updated on there just fine. After that there was a little hack to the VM config file I had to do to get it to fire up. It was giving an error related to DRM. (cant remember the exact wording)
I tried zipping up the powerdvd folder on Vista and then overwriting the install on my Win7 but that didn't seem to work either. I'm stuck! Grrr!!

Oh and I have a purchased copy of WinDVD9 as well and it too would not install.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:18 PM

Okay gang. I usually play all of my HD-DVDs on my LG HD DVD/LG drive. Now, mind you, I'm running Windows XP on this particular computer. Now, let's set the record straight right now about all of what runs and what doesn't. I'm running two software packages. First, PowerDVD Version 7.3 Ultra. Secondly, I'm also running Arcsoft Total Media Theater 3 Platinum. Now, I have the two packages installed because there may be one or two disc that won't play in PowerDVD 7. However, ArcsoftTM3 Platinum will play them just fine. They are both updated to the highest they can go. Here was the key for me. Every single time I updated the patches I saved the patches to my desktop for both versions. This way, when Cyberlink decided to dump support of HD DVD all together, then I would have the exact patches burned to a DVD so I could have access to them. In fact, I'll be done with my HTPC tonight. It's a monster system. Anyway, I can play just about any blu-ray and HD DVD with both softwares at any given time. Yes, I do have all of the patches that ever existed for the PowerDVD 7.3 ever put out. ATMT3 Platinum just usually updates by itself. You can usually get all of the patches in the Cyberlink forums and just try all of them. Works for me all the time. In fact, I don't even use my Toshiba HD-1 at all. It's just sitting and looking good on a shelf. Menaceuk, good luck my brother. Let us know if you need any more information. Believe me, I've done a great deal of trial and error with both versions of the softwares I mentioned above. I'm just a computer junkie like that as well. I have also heard about individuals having problems with Windows 7 with even certain drives and software. Again, good luck. Time to get this HTPC build done. Peace.....

Note: Personally, I would do a dual boot of both OS's, Windows XP and Windows 7, and utilize Windows XP for the HD DVD playback. Just partition the hard drive just for install purposes and few programs. That will resolve the playback issues. I've done triple boot of Ubuntu, Windows XP, and Windows 7 all on one hard drive and the CyberlinkDVD and ACTMT3 Platinum are both on the Windows XP partition. It works wonderfully.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:51 PM

I use PowerDvd 7.3 Ultra (installed today) and HD DVD works perfectly - but Blu-ray not. I use Windows 7 (64-bit) and have no problems.

Anyway, I still have the Install CD with a very, very, official Key :shh2:
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM

My PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 won't play HD-DVDs anymore, whenever it starts to load a disc the program just disappears. Plays Blu-Rays fine though... anyone have any idea what's wrong? It updated itself when I played Taxi Driver on my computer the day that it came out.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:45 PM

The latest 7.3 update killed HD DVD support. You have to revert back to an earlier build to gain HD DVD playback.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:44 PM

I have been using Arcsoft's TotalMedia Theatre 3 for my HD DVD and Blu-ray playback for awhile but recently updated to the new TotalMedia Theatre 5 which surprisingly still has HD DVD support. For some reason I always preferred it to PowerDVD. I highly recommend it.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Hooray powerdvd 7 ultra working well on Windows 8
Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 AM

I use Make MKV to put them on my server.