High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   HD DVD Hardware General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion-11/)
-   -   Problem with my HD-A2. (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion/86656-problem-my-hd-a2.html)

skrutzen 06-05-2009 09:11 PM

Problem with my HD-A2.

So my player has been great up until last night. I went to watch Transformers and after it takes a while to load, it says, "This disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc." On the screen of the player it says "MSSG." I've been putting this on before bed the last few nights with no issues until last night when this started happening.

What I've done so far:
I am up to date firmware wise. I initialized last night and also unplugged it until I got home from work today. Nothing doing. Still won't play. I have tried other HDDVD movies with no luck. SD movies play fine.

Any suggestions? Also, will I be able to get this fixed?

deano86 06-05-2009 09:35 PM

Did you try deleting the persistent storage(the web - enabled features) and then reinitializing again?

skrutzen 06-06-2009 12:31 AM

I never used persistent storage because I never understood what it did. Always wondered though...

chris gerhard 06-06-2009 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skrutzen (Post 1567269)
I never used persistent storage because I never understood what it did. Always wondered though...

You weren't asked if you used it, it was suggested you clear it through the menu option then initialize your player and see if that fixes your problem. I will second the suggestion.

Chris

Viking61 06-06-2009 03:27 AM

I think it's probably your HD DVD drive that is faulty. You could try to get hold of a cheap broken HD-A2, HD-XA2 or HD-A20 with the WELCOME bug on ebay. Those models all have the same HD DVD drive. Units suffering from the WELCOME bug normally have a fully working HD DVD drive. Then you can swap the drives.

Many of them sell for about $20 included shipping. Just make sure the problem with the broken unit is not drive related.

Broken, DVD Players Recorders items on eBay.com

Splicer 06-06-2009 09:26 AM

That is the best and least expensive way to go...Great link... :)

skrutzen 06-06-2009 07:19 PM

So when I go to "Persistent Storage" on my setup screen, it asks, "Do you want to start persistent storage?" I choose "yes" then I get a device list. The gray box in the screen says, "Fixed Persistent Storage". What does this mean? Basically what it says? Again, I've never understood specifically what this does, I never had turned it on before.

deano86 06-06-2009 11:08 PM

Once you get the the "Fixed Persistent Storage" box on the screen, hit the OK button. It will then bring up boxes with the name and logo of various movie studios of the movies that you have played on this player that had some sort of web enabled content or special feature that got stored in your memory. Follow the prompts on the bottom of the screen to delete this data for each studio from your machine. In some cases, it has been noted that this data gets corrupted and can cause your player not to function properly. Once deleted, initialize your player again and see if that helps. Good Luck....

Splicer 06-07-2009 11:55 AM

Is there any way to permanently turn persistent storage off???

Cochise 06-07-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splicer (Post 1568125)
Is there any way to permanently turn persistent storage off???

There's no specific setting to turn it off, but in the Ethernet Menu, setting the Cookies option to "Not Accept" might stop discs from leaving anything in persistent storage.