High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   HD DVD Hardware General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion-11/)
-   -   New firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/hd-dvd-hardware-general-discussion/55591-new-firmware-3-0-hd-xa2-hd-xf2-japan.html)

kannisto 05-20-2008 06:14 AM

New firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan

Toshiba released firmware 3.0 for HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 in Japan today.

The content of the release is newly added support for playback of HDVR format (HDTV content recorded with Toshiba HD DVD recorders RD-A1/A600/A300/A301). Additionally there were some generic "playback improvements" according to Toshiba's announcement.

I don't know if corresponding firmware is going to be released in other markets as well as the recorders are Japan specific models.

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/hdd-dvd/su...XA2HD-XF2.html

I was very much looking forward to this update as I want to play my RD-A301 recordings with my HD-XF2 as well.

chris gerhard 05-20-2008 08:58 AM

I will wait for something official for US models, thanks for posting this information. At version 2.8, there are some issues I have been reading about.

Chris

bruceames 05-20-2008 10:04 AM

That's certainly good news about HD DVD-R playback. Hopefully that will be the case for HD DVD-R discs recorded from PC burners as well, and later HD content burned onto DVD-R. When 3.0 for the US comes out, I'm going to leave my XA2 on 2.7 until I hear some feedback from others.

Chief 05-20-2008 10:19 AM

Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?

chris gerhard 05-20-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 968424)
Are you sure because I just got a disc in the mail that said 3.0 but it was for the A1 and XA1?

I got that one also but click on the link which shows HD-XA2.

Chris

kannisto 05-20-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief (Post 968424)

Yes, this firmware update in Japan is specifically for 2nd generation Japan models: HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 (Japan equivalent of HD-A2). I updated my HD-XF2 yesterday through the internet and the update works as expected. I can now play the HDVR discs I've recorded with my RD-A301 on it, I tried with both HD DVD-R 15 GB and 30 GB discs. Those didn't work before. I noticed I have to finalize the discs with the recorder before they can be played on HD-XF2, when I just want to play them with RD-A301 the finalization is not required as they work without it.

The recorded content starts to play back automatically when the disc is inserted and there is resume-play function for HDVR discs, i.e. when I press stop I can start playback from the same point again, but if I turn off the power once I have to start the playback from the beginning.

One of my HD DVD-R 30 GB discs I tried didn't work for some reason though, when playback is supposed to start nothing happens, but all the others I tried worked OK.

bruceames 05-21-2008 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannisto (Post 969931)
Yes, this firmware update in Japan is specifically for 2nd generation Japan models: HD-XA2 and HD-XF2 (Japan equivalent of HD-A2). I updated my HD-XF2 yesterday through the internet and the update works as expected. I can now play the HDVR discs I've recorded with my RD-A301 on it, I tried with both HD DVD-R 15 GB and 30 GB discs. Those didn't work before. I noticed I have to finalize the discs with the recorder before they can be played on HD-XF2, when I just want to play them with RD-A301 the finalization is not required as they work without it.

The recorded content starts to play back automatically when the disc is inserted and there is resume-play function for HDVR discs, i.e. when I press stop I can start playback from the same point again, but if I turn off the power once I have to start the playback from the beginning.

One of my HD DVD-R 30 GB discs I tried didn't work for some reason though, when playback is supposed to start nothing happens, but all the others I tried worked OK.

Have you tried hitting the play button on your remote to power the unit on? I find that DVDs (and the HDNet HD DVDs) do in fact resume from the point you left off if you do this.

kannisto 05-21-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceames (Post 970823)
Have you tried hitting the play button on your remote to power the unit on? I find that DVDs (and the HDNet HD DVDs) do in fact resume from the point you left off if you do this.

I haven't tried, didn't know that play button can be used to power on. I'll try out if it starts the playback from the same old position with HDVR discs. Thanks for the tip :)

segaklon 05-22-2008 04:35 AM

Someone confirm if this firmware is valid for the Toshiba HD-E1, because I do not read HD DVD-R discs.

gijoela 05-23-2008 05:28 PM

Toshiba indicated to me that a new update will be forthcoming for the XA2 and other models.

Their continued support for updates could be a reality since the A1 just got 3.0.