HD DVD - Ahead of its time? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the report AM. Since I do not own the PS3 and rely solely on what others write, this validates what I was attempting to say earlier, though in much clearer terms.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
I can think of a few. It's louder and runs hotter than dedicated players. It has an awkward shape for stacking in a home theater. There is no IR port, so you can't use it with a universal remote unless you buy an adapter. There is no serial port for home theater integration. The menus are clearly oriented toward gaming and not movie playing. If you have the FAT, you can't bitstream the HD codecs. It can't play out of region titles. It can't play 50Hz content.

Yes, they add features over time. They also remove features. Hardware PS2 compatibility. Software PS2 compatibility. Reduced number of USB ports. SACD support. "Other OS" support.

Don't get me wrong, I think the PS3 is a great machine. But if you can't see how it can be improved upon, you have very narrow vision.
It was a joke comment. Meant to mirror/mock the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
...I have had the player since the anouncement of HD DVDs demise, and short of being able to stream NetFlix thru it, and getting load times to decrease, I really don't see how this format could be improved upon....
Obviously everything can be improved upon. I was simply mocking the OP's own "narrow vision", as you call it.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:10 PM

Next time try putting the entire statement in bold. Your so called "mocking" is senseless otherwise. WHereas you stated there were no improvements, I stated besides a couple of things.
Quote:
short of being able to stream NetFlix thru it, and getting load times to decrease, I really don't see how this format could be improved upon....
Old 06-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Next time try putting the entire statement in bold. Your so called "mocking" is senseless otherwise. WHereas you stated there were no improvements, I stated besides a couple of things.
Not senseless. Just subtle.

Your comment makes little sense to me anyway, since the first part of it basically disqualifies the second part.

short of being able to stream NetFlix thru it, and getting load times to decrease, I really don't see how this format could be improved upon....
Old 06-23-2010, 05:29 PM

Thats OK. You just need to learn how to interpret what was written, not just say the words outloud to yourself.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:30 PM

Not ahead of it's time, but a solid format. It's death was signaled by the announcement of Blu-ray in the PS3. Too bad but on we move.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 AM

Yeah one of those things where you'll always wonder what it would be like if the 360 had HD built in.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintsarecoming View Post

And HD DVD is the only format proven to have to bribed a studio. Toshiba's cash money showed up as a deposit in Viacom's quarterly report.
I think Bill Hunt's diary from January 2008 more than underscores that BOTH the HD DVD Promo Group and the BDA were actively courting Warner with huge sums for exclusivity. In the end to quote Hunt "the HD DVD side got beat at their own game." A business decision settled the format war, not either format being better than the other.

Anyway now fast becoming ancient history....
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
I think Bill Hunt's diary from January 2008 more than underscores that BOTH the HD DVD Promo Group and the BDA were actively courting Warner with huge sums for exclusivity. In the end to quote Hunt "the HD DVD side got beat at their own game." A business decision settled the format war, not either format being better than the other.

Anyway now fast becoming ancient history....
Maybe. But the facts still only show tangible evidence of a payment from one side. Regardless, the OP was suggesting that EVERY studio thought HD DVD was the best and the only reason they supported bluray was for money, when clearly some (Paramount) supported HD DVD exclusively for money, paid to them by Toshiba.

Quote:
...This thread is bringing up the belief that HD DVD was ahead of its time. Can you imagine the outrage that would have occured had Sony lost the war? All those PS3 owners would have been incessed with rage and Sony would have lost its ass. That is why they spent so much to bribe the studios away from the HD DVD format, the format they had chosen as being the best. But in the end, it isn't what is best, it is how much money can we get.
The OP is suggesting that HD DVD was essentially an innocent bystander and didn't partake in the exchanging of money for support. Apparently, the studios naturally chose HD DVD because it was "the best". It was only bluray that had to "bribe studios away from the HD DVD format". We know that wasn't true. In fact, it was HD DVD that first bribed Paramount away from bluray. But apparently that never happened in the world where HD DVD is the perfect format that was "ahead of it's time", simply cannot be improved upon and did no wrong.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
The OP is suggesting that HD DVD was an innocent bystander and didn't partake in exchanging of money.
Not at all, never even remotely suggested this.

Quote:
In fact, it was HD DVD that first bribed Paramount away from bluray.
And I never said otherwise. But since the only thing to fit your agenda is to fabricate and mis-interpret what was written (not to mention also totally ignoring what was written) then that is all you post.
Closed Thread