Blu-ray Scratch coating,Does it work? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post
Well, my two year old know how to defeat Blu-rays scratch coating quickly and easily. I don't know how he does it, but he does. He got his hands on Disc 3 of my Prisoner box set. He had it for less than 30 seconds, and he scratched it up so bad that it will not play. I saw him sticking it under the rug in the living room and stopped him. I don't know what he did in the 30 seconds prior to that (the disc was in the case, so I know he removed it).

I know people did all these tests with steel wool, etc., but it appears that a 2 year old can be even rougher than that.

As for dry rot, DVD has been using the exact same coating for years, and no problems yet. I think the alleged "rot" was probably something else (maybe adhesive failure or something) and just a one time problem.
Yes - laser rot is generally a function of the adhesive which holds the layers together failing and letting air in which corrodes the recorded layer making it difficult (or impossible) for the player's laser to read it. It was very prevalent on the old laser discs, supposedly due to the size of the discs and a couple of manufacturing plants that had poor quality control. I do not believe it has ever been a significant problem with prerecorded CDs or DVDs.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYThrill View Post
Well, my two year old know how to defeat Blu-rays scratch coating quickly and easily. I don't know how he does it, but he does. He got his hands on Disc 3 of my Prisoner box set. He had it for less than 30 seconds, and he scratched it up so bad that it will not play. I saw him sticking it under the rug in the living room and stopped him. I don't know what he did in the 30 seconds prior to that (the disc was in the case, so I know he removed it).

I know people did all these tests with steel wool, etc., but it appears that a 2 year old can be even rougher than that.

As for dry rot, DVD has been using the exact same coating for years, and no problems yet. I think the alleged "rot" was probably something else (maybe adhesive failure or something) and just a one time problem.
Wow! Perhaps you should chain your two-year old.