Canada and International Mailing - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-11-2009, 07:07 PM

Default Canada and International Mailing

Hello all. This pertains to the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc Exchange for that matter. Decided to put it in this thread because I advocate HD-DVD big time. So, here are my questions you all. This has probably been brought up in the past and if so, then please forgive me because you all know I am new here. Well, I just sent two people on the thread two payments for HD-DVD's. So, it's been at least a week or more. I have always wondered about Canada. It is one of the most interesting places in my honest opinion. That being said, why in the world does it take so long you all to get your crap there? Do you all think it's because of the holidays or what? Or is it that it just takes too damn long period if you're sending something international? I even saw that even here in the US inetvideo.com takes forever to send you an item. Hell, it took them two weeks to get my order correct and when the item came the packaging was sub-par. Damn, what gives with all of this shipping crap? I guess welcome to the horribel world at timmes(not all the time) with purchasing issues on the net blckman. However, I would order things from Amazon from Maryland and I would have an item in three days. Do you all just think it's the vendor? Could that be it? No offense to the two sellers I'm exchanging money and items with. They are two nice guys. They must know what it's like in Canada to receive crap late and vice versa or anywhere else international. To tell you the truth, Brotherhood of The Wold was a prime example. At Amazon.co.uk I tried to purchase this title and they said during check-out that they don't ship to the US. What in the hell is this crap? Please explain this to me. Thank God for some loyal people in this forum that happen to have the title available. Thanks you all. I really need your opinions on this one because I'm about to explode because I keep my word and they haven't received their monies or items yet. I really feel terrible about it. Yet it's out of my hands once it goes through the process of the US Postal service and other shipping methods such as UPS, Federal Express, and DHL. Peace....
Old 12-11-2009, 07:22 PM

From Ontario, I average 2-3 weeks to get a package from here to California. I've had them get close to 4 weeks. I have NEVER seen a package get to CA in less than 10 days. I don't know if there's a hold up at Customs, or whatever, but this is just the way it is. If I mail an item on Monday, I don't think, even to NY, it's arrived in less than a week.

But, everything I've shipped (probably around 200 packages) has eventually arrived. Actually, the only person who claimed they didn't receive a movie was located 25 miles from me.

Just be calm about this... I don't blame people for being hesitant in dealing with shipments to/from Canada, but it does take longer than within the US. It's another country, and tack on the holiday season, and they will definitely move slow.

Also... shouldn't be in this forum, but there's not an HD DVD disc exchange stickied thread, so I replied anyway...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:52 PM

That's just the way it is. Inside Canada Amazon.ca takes 2-5 days depending if you had the free shipping.If i order from Amazon.com it takes 10 days maybe,7 if i'm really lucky.Same with Amazon.uk .They ship to Canada.
People just have to get used to it.You're shipping to a foreign country.It also costs more.

Last edited by CaptainCanuck; 12-11-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Items I have sent to the US typically get there quickly (5-10 days). Last time I bought from someone on this board out of the US I did not receive my item (he had two items both go missing - one to me in Canada and one to a US buyer, so sounds like something was fishy on the USPS end). It can be fast/slow in either direction.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 PM

More handling = more time. Once it gets to the border, it has to go to a sorting house...that all takes time, proper duties, if any, have to be assessed, that also takes time.

Its a different country even though its the same landmass. Seattle is 20x closer to me than Toronto, but I can ship to Toronto in 1/2 the time.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blckman View Post
At Amazon.co.uk I tried to purchase this title and they said during check-out that they don't ship to the US. What in the hell is this crap? Please explain this to me.
Huh? I buy from Amazon UK all the time, in fact I've probably bought more from Amazon.co.uk this year than I have from Amazon.com. They most certainly ship to the US; for some reason shipments from the UK arrive much faster than from Canada - I usually get Amazon UK shipments within a week to Arizona. At any Amazon site outside the US, you just log in with your Amazon.com ID & PW and it brings up your .com shipping address and payment methods.

From Arizona to Western Canada, shipments to and from usually take 10-14 days, Eastern Canada 2- 3 weeks, but a recent steelbook from Ottawa took almost a month, as did steelbooks from Germany. I'm sure they scan international packages through scanning machines like at the airport, and anything suspicious - like a metal object - gets kicked out for manual inspection. So, just be patient - remember 9/11? They have to check stuff coming in the country to make sure it's nothing more sinister than a high def movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post
Also... shouldn't be in this forum, but there's not an HD DVD disc exchange stickied thread, so I replied anyway...
Well, yes, in the blu-ray trade forum it would need to go in the Trading Discussion - because folks would be complaining about "chatter" cluttering up the main page. But things are a little slower here in the HD DVD section, so it's OK.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blckman View Post
To tell you the truth, Brotherhood of The Wold was a prime example. At Amazon.co.uk I tried to purchase this title and they said during check-out that they don't ship to the US. Yet it's out of my hands once it goes through the process of the US Postal service and other shipping methods such as UPS, Federal Express, and DHL. Peace....
You must have tried to purchase the disc thru an Amazon Marketplace seller and not all of them will ship internationally. You have to read the fine print when you check out. If you ship to Canada, you should use the US Postal Service over any other shipper.