Attebery is offline Member

Default Engadget Says 85 Percent of Donload in 2008 ILLEGAL

Engadget has commented on a study that shows 85 percent of 14 billion videos downloaded in 2008 were illegal!

mictrmbl is offline Banned

Default This is not an endorsement of piracy!

Why is everyone acting so surprised?

$.99 per song on Itunes...that adds up quickly!
    $1.99-$3.99 per movie download on Amazon or some other legally sanctioned site...that too adds up quickly!

The point is, is this. Why on earth would I buy these legally if I can get them for free in better quality? I'm sorry, but I don't have thousands of dollars just laying around so I can legally buy these songs and movies.

I would however be willing to pay a flat fee, anywhere from $5 to $10 to download anything I want, legally. But the studios are too dam greedy to come up with such an ingenious idea. Imagine having at least 100 million internet users paying $10 for legal access a month; that's $1,000,000,000 a month they could receive. But they're just too greedy to come up with such a plan.

Just the thoughts of your average American.
    Last edited by mictrmbl; 07-09-2009 at 02:07 AM.

For some reason I'm actually not surprised. Economy goes down, people's want for movies remains the same, people no longer have extra cash for legal downloads or purchases of the movies, people steal. For Shame!

Vidfreek is offline Member

I love these studies, how do they actually come to these numbers? Its like Harry Potter and Warner Bros saying they lost billions or something because people pirated the movies, yet each one has made well over $500 million worldwide and some have crossed the billion dollar mark, yet somehow they've been ripped off that much?

It really doesnt make sense and most of these numbers, IMO, are so overblown its ridiculous, but yes in general people are going to try and get their movies as cheap as possible.....I'm a huge movie buyer and support my favorites but even I have had to cut back on the ones I want to purchase, if there was an easier cheaper way to get these movies (without forking over $30 per Bluray) then I would be all for it, but you cant get the best quality without forking over the cash. I think most people are still satisfied with their HD Cable and Satellite providers and DVD and its easier and cheaper to rent or get your stuff on Demand (since HD is respectable with most providers) than to buy most of the stuff that most people will only watch once.

But yes, Hulu is a great start, I dont know how many times I've known people to miss their favorite show on TV for one reason or another and they can just go to Hulu and watch it, the industry I guess finds it a good idea to keep people from watching their shows after they have aired on TV, afterwards what you got for free (but missed for some reason) you have to pay for later, terrible design anymore and all the industries are feeling it especially the music industry as well.

MrBig is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
    I love these studies, how do they actually come to these numbers?
    The same way the MPAA and RIAA does, pull them out of their ass!

taygan315 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by mictrmbl View Post
    Why is everyone acting so surprised?

$.99 per song on Itunes...that adds up quickly!
    $1.99-$3.99 per movie download on Amazon or some other legally sanctioned site...that too adds up quickly!

The point is, is this. Why on earth would I buy these legally if I can get them for free in better quality? I'm sorry, but I don't have thousands of dollars just laying around so I can legally buy these songs and movies.

I would however be willing to pay a flat fee, anywhere from $5 to $10 to download anything I want, legally. But the studios are too dam greedy to come up with such an ingenious idea. Imagine having at least 100 million internet users paying $10 for legal access a month; that's $1,000,000,000 a month they could receive. But they're just too greedy to come up with such a plan.

Just the thoughts of your average American.
    Well said and I totally agree with your points 150%!! This statistic does not surprise me in the least.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

Zuma00 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrBig View Post
    The same way the MPAA and RIAA does, pull them out of their ass!
    Exactly!! If they really know how many are being downloaded then logic would say that they know where they are being uploaded from and that the uploaders are providing them with the stats. YEAH RIGHT!! If you believe that your average torrent site is going to give there numbers of amount of downloads then psst... come here, I 've got some beautiful ocean front property in Nevada I want to sell you. Get real.

ElwoodJD is offline Member

Setting aside pirated movies and music, when it comes to OTA network TV I just don't understand the industry's position and I think were it challenged in court they would lose again just like they did when they sued Sony over Betamax.

The simple reality is that NBC, CBS, ABC, and FOX will send you Copyright Infringement notices if they catch you downloading on their TV shows via torrent for playback over any number of media devices. Which is interesting, because there is nothing they will do if you own a TiVo or like product, or have a TV tuner and show recorder hooked up to your TV.

The Betamax case in the 80's recognized a legal right to time shift, as fair use, in the realm of copyrights. I am legally allowed to make a copy of an OTA broadcast for the purpose of watching it at my convenience. If I choose to do that by downloading an .avi of a TV show which was aired OTA for free instead of plopping down a wad of cash for a DVR I should absolutely be legally allowed to do that, and I think the courts would agree because it is simply an exercise in time shifting.

As for downloading movies, music, and cable television shows when you do not pay for cable, there is no fair use because you haven't paid for the service in the first place. But if you own cable, I would argue the above still applies because you are merely utilizing a different form of time shifting, namely with torrents instead of a DVR, but either way the outcome is the same, you watch your TV show at your convenience, not their broadcast schedule, which the Supreme Court says you have a right to do.

[If you are interested, a short history of Sony v. Universal, the Betamax case, can be found here]
    + add-on: 35
    : 57

Now Playing: Demon's Souls

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
    Wow, didn't know we had to spoilerize games that came out well over a year ago. Hope every knows the princess is in the other castle.

Puxxle is offline Member

I call BS on this number, period.

I'm not surprised, and this figure will double. We're Americans and want our shit NOW! People don't want to wait for Blu-ray's to come out anymore (too slow). They won't buy the DVDs either... so what's left. Illegal downloads. Maybe if the studios release titles on Blu-ray a whole lot faster than they are now, and reduce the price - people will start buying discs again. It's not rocket science.

STUDIOS: Spend the extra money and get the stuff out there now, or don't - and continue to get ripped-off. Like the Joker says... YOU CHOOSE.
    Sammy UN70KU6300 & UN55KU2960 , UBD-K8500 4KBD, Toshiba HD-A3, DirecTV Genie HR54/4K Mini Genie, Panny BD-60
    Titles: 195 28 (http://trekker4life.dvdaf.com/owned/high-definition)

Vidfreek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker4Life View Post
    I'm not surprised, and this figure will double. We're Americans and want our shit NOW! People don't want to wait for Blu-ray's to come out anymore (too slow). They won't buy the DVDs either... so what's left. Illegal downloads. Maybe if the studios release titles on Blu-ray a whole lot faster than they are now, and reduce the price - people will start buying discs again. It's not rocket science.

STUDIOS: Spend the extra money and get the stuff out there now, or don't - and continue to get ripped-off. Like the Joker says... YOU CHOOSE.
    Problem is, is that most movies have a theatrical run, I know they've talked about doing simultaneous DVD, On Demand and Theatrical releases, but I'm not sure if its really happened yet outside of a few more obscure films, the big movie companies will never do this because they want every penny they can get, but you figure if the DVD is available on day one and people just want to buy it at $15-$25 depending on special editions or what have you, right there the companies could actually be making more money depending on the family dynamic, my wife and I would spend less going to the theater than just buying a copy or around the same price, but the studios want you to pay to see it at the theater and then pay to own it as well, which is probably why this hasnt happened much yet and why it might not at all

Times have sped up over the years, I remember when it took almost a year for the VHS to show up to buy of most movies, when DVD hit people didnt have to wait to own their movies anymore (since rental stores were only allowed the movies first really unless it was a really big hit) and the turn around time on DVD releases shrunk, now depending on the movie it can take as little as 3 months for the DVD/Bluray to hit home, but thats usually with movies that didnt do well in the theater and the movie companies want to make as much money as fast as possible, not because they actually want to bring it to you quicker

So I really dont see this changing, but they need to move along with the rest of the world and its technology, more and more people are putting their own home theaters in their houses and paying less and less for the theater, movie companies should start taking advantage of that instead of raising prices and such at the box office