Digital Distribution didn't kill CD, it won't kill Blu-Ray. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM

Default Digital Distribution didn't kill CD, it won't kill Blu-Ray.

I guess we should've seen it coming: HD-DVD fanboys (most of whom are Nintendo/Microsoft fanboys in disguise) are now decrying ALL packaged media in favor of digital distribution.

We already have digital distribution and it hasn't killed media.

iTunes Music Store has been a huge success for 5 years, and yet audio CDs show no sign of death. Sure they are slowing down (likely due to piracy), but its going to be years before retail stops carrying them. And unbelievably, sales of Vinyl are actually on the rise.

Get used to it, kids. Blu-Ray will be the standard for the next 10 years at least. Even if digital distribution for HD movies does take off, Blu-Ray won't go anywhere.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:17 PM

IMO we could already consider CDs dead.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccca View Post
it's still used to distribute software for computers, to maintain legacy support for dirt old computers that still don't have DVD drives
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccca View Post
Uncompressed, unencrypted PCM that can be converted to any format killed by 128k AAC?

I think its time you left your underground bunker.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:23 PM

I think the difference is that people take music with them (gym, work, car) a lot more then they take movies with them. The ipod is very sucessful just as the walkman before it was. Portable DVD players aren't nearly as popular because people like to watch movies comfortably on their couches. There is currently no need to kill physical video media to the majority of the population.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM

I definately considers CDs dead as far as purchasing music on them.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20169342,00.html

CD sales down 15% in 2007. That's on top of being down every year the last 5 years.

Almost half as many CDs sold in 2007 as in 2000.

And the only reason they sold that many is they had to cut the prices on CDs to $10 and under.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Not to mention how many people actually have an internet connection with enough bandwidth to download HiDef movies?

Additionally, downloads would be at significantly lower quality. (Well I know that won't really matter, because J6p won't care about the lower quality if it's cheap).
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBishop View Post
I guess we should've seen it coming: HD-DVD fanboys (most of whom are Nintendo/Microsoft fanboys in disguise) are now decrying ALL packaged media in favor of digital distribution.

We already have digital distribution and it hasn't killed media.

iTunes Music Store has been a huge success for 5 years, and yet audio CDs show no sign of death. Sure they are slowing down (likely due to piracy), but its going to be years before retail stops carrying them. And unbelievably, sales of Vinyl are actually on the rise.

Get used to it, kids. Blu-Ray will be the standard for the next 10 years at least. Even if digital distribution for HD movies does take off, Blu-Ray won't go anywhere.
From yesterday, a direct rebuttal of your OP:

Album Sales in the U.S. Falls, Digital Sales Rise

Quote:
In 2007 album sales in the U.S. fell by almost 10 percent in comparison to 2006. This further continues the downward spiral that the recording industry finds itself in amidst the 45 percent increase in digital tracks sales. This is what new figures released by Nielsen SoundScan on Thursday is saying.
Digital tracks sales in 2007 were just under 845 million and this represents a significant increase from the 588 million recorded in 2006. Of the total album sales, digital albums made up about 10 percent of total.
For a number of years there has been a drop in CD album purchases and the recording industry has been suffering because of this. The drop has been attributed to the increase in file sharing and consumers spending mainly on entertainment including video games.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Uncompressed, unencrypted PCM that can be converted to any format killed by 128k AAC?

No, killed by torrents with much higher quality audio files than iTunes. Illegal downloading is far more widespread than CD purchasing. The CD as a form of consuming music is pretty much dead in the water compared to illegal downloading. Legal downloading is just a cherry on top for downloading. It boosts downloading's lead over physical purchasing but isn't the main component of its field at the moment.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

I don't by any way mean that CD has been killed by the utter crap iTunes is.
I think it's been killed by people who simply don't buy CDs.