Original Star Wars trilogy in 4K UHD Dolby Vision HDR + Dolby Atmos now available - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2019, 04:20 AM

Default Original Star Wars trilogy in 4K UHD Dolby Vision HDR + Dolby Atmos now available

Hi everyone! So Disney+ launched at around 2AM EST and I immediately purchased a subscription in Canada. I then went to check their 4K collection and to my absolute amazement, the original trilogy was listed. Believing this to be a mistake, I RAN to my LG OLED TV and downloaded the Disney+ App. Sure enough, the original trilogy, plus the prequel trilogy, plus the Force Awakens, plus Rogue one are all available in 4K UHD/Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos.

This was like a Christmas gift that I had no idea about until tonight. It's a little too late for me to be blasting Dolby Atmos in my condo, but safe to say tomorrow, I am putting my sound system and my condo building through the paces. I can only assume this means a 4K box set will be released after the release of The Rise of Skywalker on 4K UHD next April.

Enjoy!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 AM
Watcher of stances

this is indeed a nice surprise!
Old 11-12-2019, 10:01 AM

There's tons of 4K content available. I knew they'd announced some 4K content but I wasn't expecting as much as there is. This is an extremely nice surprise. Really glad I got my early 3 year subscription.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:41 AM

Apparently the Pirates movies are also in 4K in the States, dont think they're here in Canada, and the Simpsons is all 30 seasons, all in 1080p which also was a surprise to me. I didn't think those existed.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:49 AM

Servers have crashed. I can't connect to the site to look around some more. Hopefully they'll have it fixed by the time I get off work today.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:05 PM

A few years ago, Disney did transfers for the Original Unaltered Trilogy too. I suspect this will finally be unveiled once Rise of the Failure is released. Biggest concern is them tying it to having to purchase all of them. I only want the OG Untouched Trilogy. Thatís it.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:55 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
A few years ago, Disney did transfers for the Original Unaltered Trilogy too. I suspect this will finally be unveiled once Rise of the Failure is released. Biggest concern is them tying it to having to purchase all of them. I only want the OG Untouched Trilogy. Thatís it.
As much as I'd love 4K for the original trilogy, even a proper HD release would appease so many people.
I strongly suspected Disney+ would debut the SE in 4K. I tried to convince Steve Cohen when he posted the news story too, but he didn't bite.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
As much as I'd love 4K for the original trilogy, even a proper HD release would appease so many people.
I strongly suspected Disney+ would debut the SE in 4K. I tried to convince Steve Cohen when he posted the news story too, but he didn't bite.
All I can say was it was done. Whether anyone believes me is unimportant. I was told this prior to the Fox Buyout, and knew that was coming prior.

Again, all I care about is the OG Trilogy. Star Wars is a dead brand outside of those films for me.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Watcher of stances

Even more of a surprise, the Disney+ app is 4K HDR on my Apple TV!
my iTunes purchased Disney movies are still HD though
Old 11-13-2019, 09:12 AM

So is there a setting to be able to watch content in 4K on Disney+ or does it just play the content in the highest available format? The main preview shows HD with the details showing 4K is available but it's not clear cut that you're selecting the 4K option like it is on Prime or Netflix.