scohen is offline Staff

Default Disney Preps New Movies Anywhere Digital Service with Fox, Universal, & Warner Bros.

Disney may be expanding its cloud-based Movies Anywhere platform with support from more studios.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ner-bros/40073
    Check out my award winning experimental short film Broken Records

NJScorpio is offline Member

What the hell?

I have library of about 100 Disney Movie Anywhere titles, and about 550 Ultraviolet titles.

As it currently stands, I have to use specific apps that access both UV and DMA...which right now, is just Vudu.

Fandangonow doesn't access DMA, but access UV. Amazon Video doesn't access UV, but access DMA. Then you have Youtube accessing DMA, and Disney's own DMA app.

So what is going to happen with the UV titles I own, when the studios partner with DMA? Would it be a separate license purchase if I want a DMA version? If any studios leave the UV group, it will be the beginning of the end of that service.

I have spent a ton on my digital content, in particular Disney, as well as buying specific media players that access the apps I want. For example, I could no longer use my Amazon Fire TV to access Ultraviolet titles, so I had to swap to a Roku. I don't want to have to overhaul my equipment again because of changes to what services can access what.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

I redownloaded itunes for PC as it has been years since I've been on there and I wanted all accounts linked. itunes has always been a turd but whoa, they've made it 10 x worse! Everytime I do something it asks for my password again. I've reviewed some of the troubleshooting sites and they all seem to indicate "run as administrator" and "authorize this computer" and such. Done and done, doesn't fix it. Then they want me to disable UAC - ha ha ha, fuck you Apple, I don't think so. And forcing you to enter a credit card info so you can launch the app, then you can go in and edit your account and select "none" for payment info AFTERWARDS. Why not offer the "none" option up front?
    Going thru the settings, it was set for SD only so I checked off HD as well. It proceeds to warn me that "This PC may not be able to play HD video" - LOL. I really did laugh out loud even with noone else in the room! MSI Gaming X 1080Ti, BenQ QHD monitor, Haswell Processor with 32GB ram. I'm so confused, maybe Apple is right, what ever should I do to play HD, buy an Apple? NOT.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

rmoody is offline Member

I have the James Bond collection from Canada. In order to redeem this on Vudu I had to VPN to Canada since I'm in the US. Didn't know this before I purchased it. All the movies are present in my Vudu apps. They did not migrate over when I linked Vudu. I don't know if this is a regional thing or a studio thing.

These studios need to stop this crap. All I want is to have the digital copies of the movies available to stream from a single app in the resolution we purchased the physical disk copy in. Fox and Sony are the worst with this. I'm sick of not having the 4k version of their movies in Vudu unless I want to buy it again.

RobG is offline Member

This is what happens when you don't really "own" something.

Physical Media Forever!!!
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Quote Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
    These studios need to stop this crap. All I want is to have the digital copies of the movies available to stream from a single app in the resolution we purchased the physical disk copy in. Fox and Sony are the worst with this. I'm sick of not having the 4k version of their movies in Vudu unless I want to buy it again.

Fox movies I thought you could get 4K online, but yeah, perhaps not in Vudu. Sony OTOH, they force you to use the Bravia app, which, unless you own a Bravia tv you're out of luck.

Lionsgate is the absolute worst. No 4K copy online whatsoever. And if you buy an import and go the IP spoof route to redeem the code, it does *not* propagate to the U.S. Vudu service.

I do want to mention something else relevant to the whole topic as well. In the past the Disney Movies Anywhere app was an absolute piece of shit and the quality of the presentation was the bottom of the barrel. Can we assume or hope that the app got a total rewrite and they've decided to commit more server capacity? I really don't think Disney is aware of how much data capacity is going to be needed here and once they get a few say, Million subscribers that this will come to a screeching halt. Regional data centers will need to be set up when they realize it all cannot come from California.
    They have smart people working for them but are the suits listening to them?