DVD Streaming Service Zediva Shut Down by Courts - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
HDD Contributor

Default DVD Streaming Service Zediva Shut Down by Courts

Anyone else surprised that it took this long?

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2011/0...ce-zediva.html
Old 08-03-2011, 06:17 PM

You win! You can roll all over us. I'll pay you money whenever I buy ANYTHING on Blu and run it on a backup. You get your money. Flexibility in license purchasing means nothing. I have NO right to run this on anything you don't give say so for. Anything else is just pure thievery. I need permission to jukebox anything from you for convenience sake........
Seriously though, this is getting out of hand. How is this really all that different from what Redbox does when they rent out movies? Sure it takes more time for people to return it to the store but past that how is it different? If Redbox can buy movies at the prices they do why shouldn't Zediva be allowed the same or at worst, a slightly inflated price.
I'm sick and tired of the MPAA pulling this crap.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
Seriously though, this is getting out of hand. How is this really all that different from what Redbox does when they rent out movies? Sure it takes more time for people to return it to the store but past that how is it different? If Redbox can buy movies at the prices they do why shouldn't Zediva be allowed the same or at worst, a slightly inflated price.
I'm sick and tired of the MPAA pulling this crap.
For one: Redbox, Netflix and Blockbuster all have legally binding contracts with the studios to rent out their films. Zediva doesn't. They tried to get around that, and they got caught. This is not a gray area. This is the studios protecting their property and licensing rights. I don't understand what the issue is.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Mee this is based off of discs they bought and are rented out, period. They legally bought the discs. Maybe Zediva asked the studios about offering things like special features and everything that's on the discs and the studios said "No, movie's only for streaming.".
Old 08-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Mee this is based off of discs they bought and are rented out, period. They legally bought the discs. Maybe Zediva asked the studios about offering things like special features and everything that's on the discs and the studios said "No, movie's only for streaming.".
The discs they bought were licensed. Zediva doesn't actually own the movie. You see that little FBI warning that's displayed on every disc you buy? There's a reason that exists. Zediva tried to circumvent that, and they got caught. When you buy a Blu-Ray or DVD, that is specifically for private use ONLY, unless you have a licensing agreement with a studio to publicly play that film, which Zediva did NOT have.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Did they buy the consumer discs, or the master copies? there is a difference. Thats why when you looked at that big ass book blockbuster used to have and any out of print movie was listed as having a $100+ price tag. If you ordered it you'd be ordering a master copy. if they went down to their local wal-mart, bought the movies then encoded them they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but if they ordered those expencive master copies they'd have an argument for their business.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I own about 1,000 little shiny discs I have purchased and to the best of my knowledge, I don't have the right to rent a single one of them. Why would Zediva be any different?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I own about 1,000 little shiny discs I have purchased and to the best of my knowledge, I don't have the right to rent a single one of them. Why would Zediva be any different?
Isn't that what redbox was doing? I thought thats how they got their start? Buying dvd's in bulk at retail, and then renting them out disc by disc?

also, this isn't like a streaming service where they buy one copy of a movie and then can stream it to 3,000 people at one time. When you rent a movie from them, you are literally watching the copy that they bought. Unless they have multiple copies of a disc, you have effectively rented it out and no one else can watch it until you are done.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Many of you are wrong. You do have the right to loan or rent out discs that you bought retail. Redbox and even Netflix have done this many times. If they can't come to terms with a studio, they literally buy discs in bulk from retailers such as Wal-Mart and Target.

Zediva is different because they stream the disc. This may count as broadcasting, which is not the same and loaning out or renting a disc. They probably also violated DMCA in order to stream the encrypted disc content.