Editors: What editing system do you prefer? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2007, 12:06 AM

Default Editors: What editing system do you prefer?

There's more and more of them all the time, but right now the major ones are Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, iMovie, Adobe Premiere/Premiere Elements, Avid Express, Vegas, Discreet Smoke/Fire, Edius, Media 100 and Media Studio Pro, most of which are capable of HD editing.

Just curious which people use. Everyone says you're not professional if you don't use Final Cut or Avid (or a Mac for that matter), but I think it simply depends on you're creativity, not the software or platform you use. Personally I like Sony Vegas because of its versatility and features for the price. Also I can get stuff done twice as fast as in Final Cut. Too bad it's DVD authoring counterpart (DVD Architect) will probably only be supporting Blu-Ray
Old 06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Formerly Delta_FX

Can these programs be used to design my own DVD menu for my own files?

Have a Main Menu, Scene Selection, etc...?
Old 06-10-2007, 12:35 AM

I don't use any but I am looking at Sony Vegas. I just bought a HD camcorder and I'll need some editing software to spiff up my shots.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta_FX View Post
Can these programs be used to design my own DVD menu for my own files?

Have a Main Menu, Scene Selection, etc...?
These are simply editing software. For DVDs you need a DVD authoring program like DVD Architect (Comes with Vegas if you get the bundle), Ulead DVD Movie Factory, Adobe Encore, iDVD (Macs) or DVD Studio Pro (Macs). These, with the exception of iMovie, are pretty complex if you're just looking for a simple DVD creator. For that you might want to look at something like Roxio myDVD, which can also do Blu-Ray if you get the Premier version

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/my.../overview.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuce View Post
I don't use any but I am looking at Sony Vegas. I just bought a HD camcorder and I'll need some editing software to spiff up my shots.
First find out what type of HD format your camcorder uses. If it's HDV (uses a miniDV tape), than there are quite a few editors that can handle HDV quite nicely (Vegas, FinalCut, Premiere, and even more beginner type editors like Pinnacle Studio). If it's AVC HD (most hard drive or SD card based HD camcorders), then you might have a little bit of a challenge ahead of you, since AVC requires a lot more processing power and is not supported by many editing packages.

The newest version of Vegas though supports both HDV and AVC, so it would be good either way. Premiere and Final Cut may, but I'm not sure about those since I don't use them.

And just as a side note, I've been talking mostly about professional editing software, which isn't too hard to master if you spend some time with it. But there are a lot of cheaper, more simple pieces of software that you'll find at BB or Circuit city (ie: Adobe Premier Elements, which will also edit HD). You just have to decide how much you're willing to spend and what your needs are. If you're simply looking to edit a little bit of footage for a home move, then a cheaper piece of software may be your best bet.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 AM

I have AVC HD. Yeah I'm not sure what I'll need as I would like to blend music with the background sounds and do some minor editing with the video. I'l probably have to run down to Frys when I'm ready and talk to someone there. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
There's more and more of them all the time, but right now the major ones are Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, iMovie, Adobe Premiere/Premiere Elements, Avid Express, Vegas, Discreet Smoke/Fire, Edius, Media 100 and Media Studio Pro, most of which are capable of HD editing.

Just curious which people use. Everyone says you're not professional if you don't use Final Cut or Avid (or a Mac for that matter), but I think it simply depends on you're creativity, not the software or platform you use. Personally I like Sony Vegas because of its versatility and features for the price. Also I can get stuff done twice as fast as in Final Cut. Too bad it's DVD authoring counterpart (DVD Architect) will probably only be supporting Blu-Ray
LOL wow talk about pro Microsoft statements, if I didnt know better Id say you Bill Gates in the flesh... Macs have and always will be the best for handling HD material not just for creating, editing and authoriting HD. But that is not where their true advantage lies, but also because those machines (hardware and software) process multimedia much more effieciently than any other Windows based PC. Macs are for multimedia use, and although PCs do have a few descent programs for doing HD material, the Windows Operating system was not built based on that. Windows i am sorry to say has the only real advantage of a mac for being used for database. And trust me, I have experience in Win 2000, 98, 95, XP, 2003 Server, and even Vista (btw dont even get me started on vista lol), along with mac os 7.0, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, OS X.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
LOL wow talk about pro Microsoft statements, if I didnt know better Id say you Bill Gates in the flesh... Macs have and always will be the best for handling HD material not just for creating, editing and authoriting HD. But that is not where their true advantage lies, but also because those machines (hardware and software) process multimedia much more effieciently than any other Windows based PC. Macs are for multimedia use, and although PCs do have a few descent programs for doing HD material, the Windows Operating system was not built based on that. Windows i am sorry to say has the only real advantage of a mac for being used for database. And trust me, I have experience in Win 2000, 98, 95, XP, 2003 Server, and even Vista (btw dont even get me started on vista lol), along with mac os 7.0, 8.5, 8.6, 9.0, 9.1, OS X.
Don't interpret me as a Windows fanboy because I'm not, in fact I'm thinking of getting a Mac sometime in the coming year for video (although I hate final cut so I'll probably run my Windows based editor through boot camp). I just hate how people always tell you that if you're a video or graphics person it's like some unwritten rule that you have to have a mac. I've seen Macs crash too (yes I have used them), so don't get me started on the Macs never crash rumor.

Like I said, I have nothing against Macs (although I think Steve Jobs is an arrogant SOB), but Windows gets an overly poor rep in the multimedia department IMO.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Don't interpret me as a Windows fanboy because I'm not, in fact I'm thinking of getting a Mac sometime in the coming year for video (although I hate final cut so I'll probably run my Windows based editor through boot camp). I just hate how people always tell you that if you're a video or graphics person it's like some unwritten rule that you have to have a mac. I've seen Macs crash too (yes I have used them), so don't get me started on the Macs never crash rumor.

Like I said, I have nothing against Macs (although I think Steve Jobs is an arrogant SOB), but Windows gets an overly poor rep in the multimedia department IMO.
LOL WINDOWS FANBOY WINDOWS FANBOY!!! HAHA just kidding. No i understand. And believe me I know Jobbs is a SOB but let me tell you...even though this guy isnt with Apple anymore, Steve Wasniak, the other who started apple is a f***** genius. And he is my total hero. He made the personal computer that it is today and would be nowhere what it is today without him. And yes your right, Macs do crash, if you mess with them the wrong way lol. But no computer is perfect. If macs were perfect they would never recieve updates or new OSs. But macs are the best thing for multimedia hands down. The Unix based multitasking OS is perfect for it, and the hardware of Apple has always been great. Dont know if you read this but I read an article about how the older G5 processor still beats the Core in the PS3. But thats a different story.

BTW if you do need windows, dont use Bootcamp, Bootcamp is good but you do have to reboot each time. There is a newer program out now that is NOT an emulator (I know Virtual PC sucks-microsoft ) but you do not have to reboot to use windows. It is called Parallels. It can run both Mac and Windows simultaniously. It does require your own copy of windows of course since its not an emulator and best part is, its not that expensive, I believe its about 60 bucks. It also works with Vista if you REALLY are that desperate lol (at least i respect XP). But yea, for HD usage, personally, I would never really trust a PC, especially one running Vista, i just HATE that OS and so do all my instructors. But Final Cut Pro HD is great, I have used it many times along with Windows based Editors. Cut Pro...top notch. Which windows based program were you planning to run?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
LOL WINDOWS FANBOY WINDOWS FANBOY!!! HAHA just kidding. No i understand. And believe me I know Jobbs is a SOB but let me tell you...even though this guy isnt with Apple anymore, Steve Wasniak, the other who started apple is a f***** genius. And he is my total hero. He made the personal computer that it is today and would be nowhere what it is today without him. And yes your right, Macs do crash, if you mess with them the wrong way lol. But no computer is perfect. If macs were perfect they would never recieve updates or new OSs. But macs are the best thing for multimedia hands down. The Unix based multitasking OS is perfect for it, and the hardware of Apple has always been great. Dont know if you read this but I read an article about how the older G5 processor still beats the Core in the PS3. But thats a different story.

BTW if you do need windows, dont use Bootcamp, Bootcamp is good but you do have to reboot each time. There is a newer program out now that is NOT an emulator (I know Virtual PC sucks-microsoft ) but you do not have to reboot to use windows. It is called Parallels. It can run both Mac and Windows simultaniously. It does require your own copy of windows of course since its not an emulator and best part is, its not that expensive, I believe its about 60 bucks. It also works with Vista if you REALLY are that desperate lol (at least i respect XP). But yea, for HD usage, personally, I would never really trust a PC, especially one running Vista, i just HATE that OS and so do all my instructors. But Final Cut Pro HD is great, I have used it many times along with Windows based Editors. Cut Pro...top notch. Which windows based program were you planning to run?

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize there were non-emulator alternatives to boot camp. I will definitely consider that But as far as software I'm running Sony Vegas right now. I like it because the work flow IMO is quicker than FCP and it can do virtually anything that other pro NLEs do. It's also good in the sense that it handles different file formats very well. For example, I can use an MPEG2 (SD or HD), AVI, QT (all different resolutions) and a wav and mp3 file, all on the same timeline without the need for conversions, pre-rendering or workspace adjustments. I've used FCP oa few times, so I know the basics, but I'm not so sure if it allows for a liberal usage of file formats and resolutions like that. Also, Vegas and FCP have 2 different approaches to trimming clips.

I would be willing to give FCP a try, but I'm not so sure If I would spend a few hundred bucks on a program that will cause me to work more slowly (at least for a while) when the program I use right now suits my needs and hasn't ever retrained me feature wise. But I am a little enthusiastic to give OSX a try, so I think I'll wait till around Christmas and will probably configure a tower then.

Also, if anyone knows when exactly is the best time to buy a Mac tower (ie: what month they upgrade the system options and how long the period between upgrades is), I would appreciate it
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 PM

Sony Vegas and such are good programs as long as what your doing is just basic home movie and fun flicks but if your looking for true quality and expandibility, then it wont offer it to you. on the PCside, i would look for Adobe Premier. That program will allow for you to do lots and lots ith it.

I myself use Final Cut Studio. It supports A. high def. B. I can then mix a 5.1 surround track and create a full DVD with interactive menues and add 3D and such so its a very complete suite.

Your also looking @ roughly $1600 for it but it was well worth the price point for me