WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY vs CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory vs Charlie & the Chocolate Factory?
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 91 72.22%
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

Default WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY vs CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY

Which do you prefer, the original WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY with Gene Wilder, or the remake, CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY with Johnny Depp?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 AM

Gene Wilder was a better Willy than Johnny, and the new Oompa-Loompas sucked.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:50 PM

I think the original was slightly better, although Burton's version was much truer to the book. If the oompa loompas weren't so annoying, I'd say the Burton remake was better.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:51 PM

Actually I think both versions have their + and -...As a whole I like them both...
Old 06-20-2009, 03:20 PM

I knew I was going to be in the minority with my vote. There's about only one aspect from Willy Wonka that I like more than Charlie, that's Gene Wilder. I like his rendition of Willy Wonka. I know that Charlie and the Chocolate factory followed closer to the actual book, but I still like Gene Wilder's Wonka.

As for the rest of it, I really did not like Charlie Bucket as a character in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. One of the things the always bothered me most was that he took the everlasting gobstopper. Yes, he did give it back, but I didn't think that was deserving enough to have him inherit the factory. Also, in my opinion I thought it was a cruel joke when he "faked" that he got a golden ticket to his family. As if his family didn't have enough struggles as it was, then to have this kid get everyone's hopes up in, what I saw as, a lie. IMO, that wasn't quality characteristics for him deserving the factory either. I also thought the movie was, too slow. The song, "Cheer Up Charlie" always bored me.

I thought Freddie Highmore as Charlie Bucket instilled the quality and pureness necessary to portray someone who was worthy enough of the factory.

These are simply just reasons why I like/dislike one over the other. I know people will feel differently on the same subject, but that was just my take from the two films.

BTW, GREAT thread!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 PM

original
PROS - Gene Wilder, the music, the oompa loompas, the nostalgic value, the setpieces
CONS - Charlie could have been better

remake
PROS - Freddie Highmore
CONS - Everything else (Depp is one of my top 3 favorite actors but he sucked compared to Wilder, Burton made an already weird movie needlessly weirder, the Oompas Loompa(s) were HORRIBLE, the songs are inferior to the original version's songs, etc.)
Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Surprised it took so long for you to start this poll, psickmusic. I thought it would've been one of the first "vs" threads you came up with, but there have been some interesting ones so far.

Anyways, gotta give it to Willy mainly because of Gene Wilder. He made that movie work so well. Charlie is better eye candy and that's about it for me.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 PM

for me this is a no brainer: willy 4 life foolz
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 PM

That's eerie; I just finished watching Charlie on - haven't seen the original but really enjoyed this one
Old 06-21-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus81 View Post
Surprised it took so long for you to start this poll, psickmusic. I thought it would've been one of the first "vs" threads you came up with, but there have been some interesting ones so far.

Anyways, gotta give it to Willy mainly because of Gene Wilder. He made that movie work so well. Charlie is better eye candy and that's about it for me.

Hahaaa-- I agree