Does HD offer a significant leap from SD ? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Does HD offer a significant leap from SD ?

I have just got a new 1080p HDTV and am looking to make the most out of it. However, I just have a question for those of you who already own Blu-Ray or HD DVD players. Is the image significantly better than Standard Definition ?

I currently have my DVD player connected to my TV through progressive scan component video. I was just wondering how much of a difference I will get in image quality if I get a HD DVD or Blu Ray player.

Thanks in advance for feedback.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 AM

Yes. It is.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 AM

I believe everybody owning both or either would agree that either new format looks significantly better than DVD and greatly better than standard definition OTA, cable and satellite. I also find both looks significantly better than cable and satellite HDTV. I have found the far better selection along with very good quality of DVD means for now I watch DVD on my HDTV a lot more than both Blu-ray and HD DVD combined. The selection released on Blu-ray is much better than HD DVD overall, but neither format is offering much of interest for my tastes. The chances that ever changes are slim for me, but I own both and will continue to find a gem to watch on HD disc once in a while.

Chris
Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Is the image significantly better than Standard Definition ?
Yes it is. Its so much better that I had to add an HD DVD player to my bedroom TV. Third player will probably make it into my home office in a couple of months.

Normal DVDs may actually begin to annoy you after you've watched a couple of HD films.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Nice ! I didn't realise the difference was that significant. Are there any comparison screenshots / videos of HD vs SD ?

Thanks.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Here are some screen shots from LOTR. The HD are from broadcast not the full 1080p that you will get from either BD or HD-DVD. Hope this helps.

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html
Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM

Excellent. That's exactly what I was looking for. Looking at the images, there is a significant difference. Thanks a lot Wayne !
Old 06-01-2007, 09:26 PM

Amazing LoTR shots. At first looking at the SD, I was like "looks pretty good, like I remember it" then with the HD shots...wow, I would love to see what a good encoder could do given time and money...holy crap, great work!
Old 06-02-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-dave View Post
Amazing LoTR shots. At first looking at the SD, I was like "looks pretty good, like I remember it" then with the HD shots...wow, I would love to see what a good encoder could do given time and money...holy crap, great work!
Yeah. I thought initially HD will be better than SD, but only for image purists. After seeing these screenshots - there is quite a difference which anyone will notice easily.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:32 AM

I've shown some HD movie clips to a couple of people, and the results were mixed. A lot people tend to say "what's so great about HD? I don't see the difference. DVD is good enough for me". And to be honest, going from SD to HD doesn't always incur the 'wow' reaction in me as much as I'd expect.

But then I realized that the effect is actually reversed. Once you're used to HD, and it's what you expect movies to look like, then going back to normal DVD's is pretty painful. I hesitate to buy even cheap DVD's nowadays, because it just doesn't look very good anymore.