Would it have been better to have HD movies out directly after VHS instead of DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums
View Poll Results: Do you think DVD was necessary?
You think DVD should have been created 16 100.00%
You think it should have waited a few more years and go straight to high def 0 0%
You don't think high def should exist and think DVD should be ruler of all 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Would it have been better to have HD movies out directly after VHS instead of DVD?

Okay guys this poll is about if you think that after VHS we should have waited a few more years to release movies in high definition and skip DVD entirely, or if you think DVD had to be in between VHS and high definition in order for HD to succeed. (Think of it like this, how much easier would it be to sell someone HD if they saw a MUCH bigger difference in pq versus having DVD in there making things good in between the two)

This is just a question out of curiosity

Last edited by resevilfan86; 05-23-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 AM

Technology is an ever growing process. It has to come in stages. I voted DVD was necessary for the evolution.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 AM

Look what happened to Sony by waiting 1 year. They are getting creamed in the console war because of it.

The technology wasn't even ready until last year (some say BD still isn't ready).

Everyone would have a lot more VHS tapes they accumulated over the last 10 or so years which would then be obsolete when they get the HD players. Instead your old DVDs still fine.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:37 PM

the leap is too big. Its easy for us to see the evolution now but nobody would have dreampt of Blu-ray @ the time.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Sorry, but I think the question is a bit of a non sequiter (sp?). The technology was simply not there 10 years ago to avoid the step of VHS / Laserdisc to DVD. Remember that DVD basically reflects the resoltuion and other characteristics of the displays generally in use globally at the time. Without the display technology (and market) without the processing power for decoding and also the general market acceptance, HD could not have gotten off the drawing board.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:05 PM

I'm not sure this question even makes sense...did high definition even exist pre-2000?

How could we have skipped over DVD to technology that didn't exist? I have been enjoying DVDs since 2000, and 7 years later I moved to HD-DVD. To say that we should have had VHS for 7 more years until HD happened doesn't make any sense. With that line of reasoning, why don't we skip HD movies and just go straight to 3D?

Paul