Why do studios release different movies for different formats? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM

Default Why do studios release different movies for different formats?

Warner, who as far as I know, is not closely aligned with either camp, has been releasing movies for only one format at a time. For example, V for Vendetta is only for HD DVD but not for blu-ray. Other movies have dual releases. Does anyone know if Warner will be doing both formats for all movies or is it random which will go to which format?

Colin
Old 11-16-2006, 07:52 AM

I was thinking Warner was strictly a HD-DVD supporter. No Blu-Ray in their pipeline.
Sony is Blu-Ray. They helped invent it. They do not want to pay royalties to the HD-DVD people.
FOX and Disney have jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon. No HD-DVDs for them.
Not sure on everyone else.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Warner is already releasing titles on Blu-Ray, they recently released 'The Last Samurai' and 'Million Dollar Baby.' Give them time, I'm sure they'll get to V for Vendetta.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:44 AM

So far, Corpse Bride has been the only one released first on BD....and it was just a week between it's release and the HD DVD.

I think the biggest reason that we see them on HD DVD first is because HD has a much larger user base so far. I also suspect that because HD DVD's are easier to produce, that there is more production capacity available.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:12 AM

As said above, some studios have sided with one format and do not plan to support the other, and that list seems to change every month or so.

Sometimes they release the exact same movie on both formats, but prefer encoding on one over the other. i.e. Training Day on BD was MPEG-2 while on HD it was VC-1. M:I:III on HD had the 'Enhanced PIP commentary', while the BD version did not. In the thread about durability there's a link to an interview where the Toshiba rep mentioned that the encoding differences may have been due to licensing rights and Sony refused to pay for initially resulting in the first gen being uncompressed PCM and MPEG-2 as opposed to Dolby Digital 5.1+ and VC-1.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62615
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 PM

I think Warner will catch up eventually but what's holding them back is replication on BD50s. For example the Unforgiven was released on a BD50 with the exact same content as the 30gb HD DVD version. This leads me to believe it wouldn't fit on a BD25.

Also, Good Night, and Good Luck was released first on BD before that happened with Corpse Bride.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersheytx View Post
I was thinking Warner was strictly a HD-DVD supporter. No Blu-Ray in their pipeline.
Sony is Blu-Ray. They helped invent it. They do not want to pay royalties to the HD-DVD people.
FOX and Disney have jumped on the Blu-Ray bandwagon. No HD-DVDs for them.
Not sure on everyone else.
Sony is Blu-ray. And so is 170+ other CE, IT, and studio companies. Blu-ray is not just a Sony product, but a product developed by several companies.

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/Section-1...s/4/Index.html

Currently, 7 of the 8 major studios support Blu-ray. (Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, MGM, Lionsgate, and Sony/Columbia Pictures)

Only 3 of the 8 major studios support HD DVD (Warner, Paramount, and Universal)

So, needless to say, Warner will eventually catch up, especially when 100s of thousands of Blu-ray players get sold in one day tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 PM

That's a major load of [email protected] and you know it!! I love how you get to pick and choose the 'major' movie studios when Lionsgate only has about a 3% marketshare. HD DVD also has Weinstein Bros/Genius (Lucky Number Slevin, Derailed, Clerks 2, Transamerica, Young Hannibal, Sin City 2, (and 3 and 4 if they go that high), The Libertine, etc), Bandai Entertainment, New Line Films, HBO, Studio Canal, Rhino Entertainment, Magnolia, etc etc.

The other thing is that CONSUMERS DO NOT SEE STUDIO ALLEGIANCES. What it really comes down to is content. It's true that BR has a couple of the big players in their field, however, only Fox and Sony are committed to using BR. And the other studios have been pushing back all their content. Disney actually made it PUBLIC that they wouldn't be releasing Chicken Little, Cars, or Pirates of the Caribbean on BR this year (or early next). Why would a studio do that? Sony has only put out a couple meager titles--over half with subpar transfers. And Disney hasn't done much either, and Fox is justtt finally starting to kick in gear. Lions Gate pushed back ALL their titles 6 months or later...

So the fact is, despite all the BIG BACKERS, it really comes down to money and which format can make the most sales. HD DVD has cranked out a ton of decent movies with great PQ...it's been very consistent. BR has been all over the map--first crap, then a little better, then actually fairly decent (some might say 'good') but lately a lot of recent movies have received poor marks. Talladega Nights--the movie to sell BR to the early PS3 buyers received a 2/5 star mark from this site. The reviewer also noticed a lack of any pop or 3D effect. Gamers are going to be happy their PS3 was delayed 6 months, supplies got even tighter, AND they had to purchase an HDMI cable (and a remote) to see a 2/5 flat transfer.

Ouch.

Still, the truth is when you walk into a store there's much more quality (and quantity of) titles on HD DVD than BR. A lot of BR has been cheesy movies--Hitch, Benchwarmers, RV, Ultraviolet, XXX, 50 First Dates, Basic Instinct 2, Stealth, The Big Hit, Jay & Silent Bob, Eight Below -- heck that's about 15% of the BR movies out there and there's not even 80 to choose from. HD DVD on the other hand (despite it's '3 out of 8 studios') has pumped out over 110 titles and will clock well over 150 (I'm hoping for 175s...) for the year. True, there's been some junk, but there's actually a lot more to choose from on the rack...where it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post
Currently, 7 of the 8 major studios support Blu-ray. (Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, MGM, Lionsgate, and Sony/Columbia Pictures)

Old 11-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

You have to be careful how you phrase that, that's misleading. MGM/UA, Lionsgate, Fox, Sony and Columbia/Tri-star are all divisions of Sony. The only one not owned by Sony who is backing Blu-ray only is Disney/BV.

Boden is very much correct that the majority of consumers do not know who makes the movie, nor do they care and nor should they. The facts are that Sony didn't get ratified as the next DVD (by the people who set the standards for every DVD we use today) and is infusing confusion into the marketplace. I don't imagine both formats will be fully supported by all the studios in the end. So we'll either end up with multi-devices ala DVD+/-R to read both formats or one will drop off.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:38 AM

I'm still trying to figure out where all these "100's of thousands" of PS3's are? Tomorrow will they just start popping out of the ground like the tripods in War of the Worlds?

And Blu-Ray only studio support doesn't mean a thing if you can't even get your hands on even the least expensive means of watching their movies. In the meantime, Universal, Warner, Paramount, and such, have an opportunity to really see a boost in their HD-DVD sales, especially with the 360 add-on.

And while Sony struggles to get PS3's into the hands of consumers, how long would you expect Fox and Buena Vista and Lionsgate to sit back and watch as Universal, Warner, Paramount, HBO, Genius Products, and so on, increase their HD-DVD sales while their own Blu-Ray sales don't move very much at all? Let's keep in mind the big promise was that PS3 was going to be the "trojan horse" for Blu-Ray. And right now Sony is having a real hard time wheeling the horse to the door. Give me a timeline. Think they'll be ok waiting until fall 2007? Maybe 2008?

Quote:
And so is 170+ other CE, IT, and studio companies.
BTW since you're lumping in IT, you do know Apple also supports HD-DVD although they don't list it on Blu-Ray's PR machine website as both?