Why Arent We Seeing 7.1 TrueHd Tracks? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Default Why Arent We Seeing 7.1 TrueHd Tracks?

I dont get it and im sure its been posted before. How come we arent seeing 7.1 TrueHd tracks? Its already bad enough that Dolby only does a minimum of 1.5 mbp at a min but no 7.1 on top of it. Anyone know why?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 PM

99% of Hollywood movies are mixed for 5.1. In fact, most of the 6.1 and 7.1 soundtracks available on Blu-ray or DVD are post-processed in the studio to matrix a center rear channel before disc encoding. The results are not much different than applying ProLogic IIx decoding to a 5.1 track at your receiver.

TrueHD is capable of 7.1 channels of audio. There's nothing preventing it, other than studio politics. The only studios making a concerted push for 7.1 are/were New Line (now defunct) and Lionsgate, both of whom happen to prefer DTS for other business reasons.

Also, there's no point in complaining about the bit rate of a lossless audio format like TrueHD. A lossless track is by definition bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. TrueHD and DTS Master Audio use different compression methods and thus have different bit rates, but the results are both 100% identical to their masters. If they weren't, they couldn't be called lossless.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:15 PM

dunno, but I would love to see more 7.1 stuff seeing how much I (foolishly) spent on my setup. Oh well.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody View Post
dunno, but I would love to see more 7.1 stuff seeing how much I (foolishly) spent on my setup. Oh well.
Unless it was over 6 figured I'd NEVER consider a HT setup foolish
Old 07-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
Unless it was over 6 figured I'd NEVER consider a HT setup foolish
Well, it wasn't, used my BB employee accommodations Was fairly economical. Still, wish I had either gotten two Klipsch B-3's instead of the extra S-3's. But, oh well. Still sounds awesome!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
99% of Hollywood movies are mixed for 5.1. In fact, most of the 6.1 and 7.1 soundtracks available on Blu-ray or DVD are post-processed in the studio to matrix a center rear channel before disc encoding. The results are not much different than applying ProLogic IIx decoding to a 5.1 track at your receiver.

TrueHD is capable of 7.1 channels of audio. There's nothing preventing it, other than studio politics. The only studios making a concerted push for 7.1 are/were New Line (now defunct) and Lionsgate, both of whom happen to prefer DTS for other business reasons.

Also, there's no point in complaining about the bit rate of a lossless audio format like TrueHD. A lossless track is by definition bit-for-bit identical to the studio master. TrueHD and DTS Master Audio use different compression methods and thus have different bit rates, but the results are both 100% identical to their masters. If they weren't, they couldn't be called lossless.
I dont mean to complain but, DTSHD is less compressed and YESS, I can tell the difference between DTSHD and TrueHd
Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
I dont mean to complain but, DTSHD is less compressed and YESS, I can tell the difference between DTSHD and TrueHd
If you are referring DTSHD as DTS High Resolution and not DTS HD Master Audio sure, but DTS HD Master Audio is lossless and so is Dolby TrueHD, they are bit for bit identical to the original source when they use the same bit depth and sample-rate. The only times you would hear differences is if the people responsible for the encode turned on codec specific features that changed the original presentation of the source for a particular sound format like Dialogue Normalization or if theres decoding issues from either the player or AVR.

Or perhaps if the people responsible for the audio portions were altering the sources before encoding them to DDTrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio, then you would hear a difference also.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
What are you comparing? The only domestic release that offers both is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Any other comparison between the codecs is inherently unfair due to the lack of consistency in program material.

In other words, you can't compare a TrueHD track from I Am Legend to a DTS-HD MA track from I, Robot and make any useful conclusion about the superiority of one codec over the other.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolpplse View Post
If you are referring DTSHD as DTS High Resolution and not DTS HD Master Audio sure, but DTS HD Master Audio is lossless and so is Dolby TrueHD, they are bit for bit identical to the original source when they use the same bit depth and sample-rate. The only times you would hear differences is if the people responsible for the encode turned on codec specific features that changed the original presentation of the source for a particular sound format like Dialogue Normalization or if theres decoding issues from either the player or AVR.

Or perhaps if the people responsible for the audio portions were altering the sources before encoding them to DDTrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio, then you would hear a difference also.
Correction, I meant DTSMA
Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
What are you comparing? The only domestic release that offers both is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Any other comparison between the codecs is inherently unfair due to the lack of consistency in program material.

In other words, you can't compare a TrueHD track from I Am Legend to a DTS-HD MA track from I, Robot and make any useful conclusion about the superiority of one codec over the other.
my point is the low rate. Example, 300 pcm track compared to the TrueHd. I can tell a difference between those two. Even though pcm is not DTSMA, My point is it has a higher rate and its noticeable in sound. I still dont understand why we arent seeing 7.1 TrueHd tracks.