Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Feyd is offline Member

Default Canada: Where to buy HD DVD/Blu-ray movies?

Best Buy and Futureshop are generally a total ripoff. Anyone know of an online retailer in Canada that charges reasonable prices? Or perhaps an online retailer in the States that has reasonable shipping charges to Canada without getting reamed by customs?
    Last edited by Feyd; 03-24-2007 at 12:44 AM.

TaiwaneSTUD is offline Founding Member

nope, cuz canada is a ripoff country
    25-Year-Old TaiwaneSTUD, Hsinchu, Republic of Taiwan. Burnaby, BC Canada
    HD DVD : 1xx Titles (Toshiba HD-A1)
    Blu-Ray : x0 (Sharp BD-HP20U)

redbawlz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by TaiwaneSTUD View Post
    yeah I know....wait aren't you living in Canada ......why not Taiwan??? ....weird! why would you live in a "rip off" country? ......go back too Taiwan! ....we don't need anyone living here just to use "rip-off" Canada for the Citizenship and free health care ....and if Canada is a "rip-off" country like you claim... what does that make you for deciding to live here?....hmmm many words come to mind...but I will be polite(Canadian way) and let you fill in the blanks!
    Last edited by redbawlz; 03-24-2007 at 05:31 AM.
    My Set Up:
    37" LG LCD HDTV+360+HD DVD add on+PS3 60GB
    HD DVD Movies: 22
    Blu-ray Movies: 9

rkobylka is offline Member

Very very true words. Ebay becomes your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
    Best Buy and Futureshop are generally a total ripoff. Anyone know of an online retailer in Canada that charges reasonable prices? Or perhaps an online retailer in the States that has reasonable shipping charges to Canada without getting reamed by customs?
    I think if you look closely and search you can find good deals and FS, BB, and even Wal-Mart...but it takes a better search......but for the record I have seen alot of movies in Bellingham US that are more expensive then in BC ......but like I said amazon.com is the best deal even with conversion...asumming customs doesn't get crazy!...LOL
    My Set Up:

Headhunter is offline Member

Amazon.com is what I'd recommend, even if you don't have the 10% off in 2007 promotion. There are some movies that I haven't found in Canada/from Canadian retailers below MSRP, it's worth it even with the shipping.

Most Amazon.com orders ship to your place from within Canada, shouldn't be any customs.

gotcho is offline Member

Amazon.ca is good for Books and DVD's. I don't have a player for HD DVD or Blu ray, but I do have a wishlist for each format and the pricing doesn't seem too bad. Blu ray tends to be more $, but deals can be had on both sides of the fence. It is in canadian currency and free shipping is available.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by redbawlz View Post
    yeah I know....wait aren't you living in Canada ......why not Taiwan??? ....weird! why would you live in a "rip off" country? ......go back too Taiwan! ....we don't need anyone living here just to use "rip-off" Canada for the Citizenship and free health care ....and if Canada is a "rip-off" country like you claim... what does that make you for deciding to live here?....hmmm many words come to mind...but I will be polite(Canadian way) and let you fill in the blanks!
    hahah... canada is a fine country, it's just that the government is pissing me off, as an immigrant we've spent more than you could ever imagine and let's not even get into that. on top of that i won't even be here to enjoy those free health care and all those benefits... (i don't even know how long i can live)

and many of my canadian friends agree with me
    Last edited by TaiwaneSTUD; 03-24-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Feyd is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
    Most Amazon.com orders ship to your place from within Canada, shouldn't be any customs.
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Guess I'll come up with a list of 5 titles or so and bulk-order them from Amazon.com to save on shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by rkobylka View Post
    Very very true words. Ebay becomes your friend
    someone seems to agree with me...

but nah.. Ebay... say i tried to buy a game for $50 on ebay...

then when it comes to canada, it becomes $50 plus $10 handling plus 15% tax

how good is that? to me that's a ripoff, especially when you can't find certain products and you have to go thru ebay.

maybe i should put it this way

Canadian government is ripping off its people.
    Last edited by TaiwaneSTUD; 03-24-2007 at 07:45 PM.

how good is that? to me that's a ripoff, especially when you can't find certain products and you have to go thru ebay.

Ok well you ripped yourself off for buying a game for 50 bucks when you can probably get it at willow video(which is in BC) brand new for 49.99 or less........not to mention most games are 59.99 or less brand new at it's "rip-off" stores(BB,FS, an Wal-mart).....how is it the governments fault that your seller on ebay did not specify what the item is ...hence why the customs people had to search it......how is that the Governments fault?!?!?!?....Secondly if you can't get the free health care thats your fault no one else's...not the government...Canada welcomes immigrants with open arms...they are important to the government just as living in the country is important to you. If you don't live here long enough I fail to see why that is the governments fault?......If you don't like it leave!.....Canada is rated top 5 best countries too live in for a reason our taxes are high but our services are impressive and extensive. everyone help everyone....everyone contributes to society rich/poor everyone is included. That IS Canada! so before you complain about Canada.... while living here then at least make a valid point which I even may agree with.... but instead you come on here and take any chance you can to dis Canada and sound like a spoiled immigrant that thinks Canada should do everything for you....Canada does more then most first world countries ....."smarten' up"!...........

Amazon.com specifies the cargo so you won't have to deal with customs!...great deal just like everyone else in North America gets
    Last edited by redbawlz; 03-24-2007 at 08:41 PM.
    My Set Up:

Headhunter is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
    Interesting, I didn't know that. Guess I'll come up with a list of 5 titles or so and bulk-order them from Amazon.com to save on shipping.
    Read a few cases of buyers complaining about customs on Amazon.com parcels, but personally I've never been hit with a customs charge.

ok i respect what you said there

back to topic, i'd say wal-mart and amazon.ca has the best price, on release day, bestbuy and futureshop also has good price on the titles.
    Last edited by TaiwaneSTUD; 03-25-2007 at 05:27 AM.

ok i respect what you said there

back to topic, i'd say wal-mart and amazon.ca has the best price, on release day, bestbuy and futureshop also has good price on the titles.
    amazon.com is better and don't worry they label their items so you will not get ripped up by customs....word of advice keep it under 100 CAD..and you will be alright. FS an BB is usually a rip off...but just for the record because Lionsgate Films is from Vancouver BC ..FS BC has the BD titles on Liongate for only 19.99CAD(except Crank, Decent).....best deal in North America retail!
    My Set Up:

HAVOCMAN74 is offline Member

$50? What game was it?

Back in January I noticed that amazon.ca had a clearance sale. I got FEAR, NFS CARBON CE for $39.99, both on the 360. they also had Gears of War. That was a good price considering most places sell those games for $59.99-$69.99.

also got phantasy Star Universe for $19.99 and Blazing angels for $29.99.
    Gamertag on XBL & PSN: HAVOCMAN74
    VIEWSONIC 37" LCD HD.
    HTIB I want:Onkyo HT-SP908 7.1 Channel Home Theater System.
    120gig: 60 Games. 26 XBLA Games.
    add-on: 40 Movies.
    Wii: 12 Games. 4 VC Games.
    DS: 8 Games.
    80 gig 7 games
    :6
    LE Star Wars PSP: 2 Games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast